If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

TS-677 Dedicated Plex Server - Hardware discussion

SystemSystem Posts: 288 Plex Employee
This discussion was created from comments split from: Installing Plex in a share OTHER THAN the system share?.

Comments

• bwebwe Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kd6icz
    I'm buying the same rig -TS-677 and the GTX 1050.
    Wondering how you like it? I need the 1050 only because I need the HDMI port for running HD Station direct to my TV. I figured there was plenty of horse power to handle software transcoding to multiple players. The 677 seems to be one of the fastest qnap servers out there for the money... thoughts? I'm moving up from a TS251 - not even the + version...

• kd6iczkd6icz Posts: 319Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@bwe said:
    @kd6icz
    I'm buying the same rig -TS-677 and the GTX 1050.
    Wondering how you like it? I need the 1050 only because I need the HDMI port for running HD Station direct to my TV. I figured there was plenty of horse power to handle software transcoding to multiple players. The 677 seems to be one of the fastest qnap servers out there for the money... thoughts? I'm moving up from a TS251 - not even the + version...

I love it! It's my dedicated Plex DVR box installed at my parents house. I did try the whole graphics card thing and the one I chose didn't fit very well. I would recommend a low profile card. I know they have a list of cards to choose from but I don't see why any 1050 card wouldn't work? I just picked up a Gigabyte 1050 2GB low profile from Newegg for $135 for my desktop. I'm pretty sure it would work fine in the 677.

As far as the Ryzen 5 1600 it has ample power to support multiple transcoding operations. I upgraded the RAM to 16GB Corsair DDR4-2666 LPX (low profile 4 sticks) and installed two ADATA mSATA M.2 drives (256GB x 2). The mSATA drives are in RAID0 and are dedicated for Plex transcoder cache.

QNAP supplies nice heatsinks for the M.2 drives.

Here are some internal pictures.

Home built Supermicro X99 motherboard with Intel i7-6950x with all 10 cores locked at 4GHz! Each thread scoring 2500 passmark with 128GB 3300 DDR4 and 10Gbps Intel SFP+ NIC. Files stored on QNAP TS-1635 NAS with twelve 6TB WD Reds in RAID6!

• bwebwe Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

nicely done! - is there any special configuration to make this work?:
    The mSATA drives are in RAID0 and are dedicated for Plex transcoder cache.

Thanks for the feedback - can't wait to get this going...

• kd6iczkd6icz Posts: 319Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@bwe said:
    nicely done! - is there any special configuration to make this work?:
    The mSATA drives are in RAID0 and are dedicated for Plex transcoder cache.

Thanks for the feedback - can't wait to get this going...

The way I set up every QNAP NAS I own is to just start by installing the drive where you want your system files to be stored. In my case I used the two 2.5" bays for my system files and put them in RAID1. I happen to reuse some 256GB Toshiba SSD's I used in my previous Windows Media Center server I built mid last year. The system drive holds the QTS OS as well as all of the Plex database files.

Once you have the unit up and running install the rest of the drives (including the M.2's). Once all the drives are installed you have to manually direct Plex to use the M.2's for transcoder cache. The simplest way to do this is make a folder called Plex Cache on the M.2 volume and then pretend like you're going to create a media library on it in that folder. I then copy the location and paste it in the transcoder location storage box.

Of course this is only if you want to use the M.2's.

Home built Supermicro X99 motherboard with Intel i7-6950x with all 10 cores locked at 4GHz! Each thread scoring 2500 passmark with 128GB 3300 DDR4 and 10Gbps Intel SFP+ NIC. Files stored on QNAP TS-1635 NAS with twelve 6TB WD Reds in RAID6!

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 20,111Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@bwe @kd6icz

Figured you'd prefer a dedicated HW thread of your own so split you out from the other discussion to here.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.