If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

LG WebOS plex app + 4K hevc HDR + subtitles - need help

P21P21 Posts: 41Members ✭✭

Hi,

My setup is the following:

Plexserver = QNAP TVS-471
Plex client= WebOS plex app on LG OLED65c7v connected via ethernet)

Problem:

I can play my 4K movies with HDR activated perfectly but only when I disable the subtitles. If I use the embedded subtitles, the server starts transcoding and the movie stutters and HDR is never activated.

What I have tried so far:

• remux the movie with mkvtoolnix to replace the VOBsub with embedded srt subtitles.
  • remux the movie with mkvtoolnix to remove all embedded subtitles and only use external srt subtitles.
  • tried to play the movie in Xplay both with vobsub and srt (horrible app btw, want to keep away from that).

The above steps do not work and all give the same result.

I am not a native English speaker but my English is ok. So if the choice is HDR enabled or subtitles, it's an easy one. Still I would prefer to have the option to add subtitles.

Does anyone know of this issue and have a solution to it? (aside from hardcoding the subtitles which will take forever with my pc and moving the 4K movies back and forth between my NAS and PC)

Thanks for any info!

Answers

• KrazehKrazeh Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You won't be the only one with this issue. While LG's OLEDs do support embedded srt subtitles by either playing the movie from storage attached directly to the TV or through DLNA I suspect this may use a different player than the one available to the Plex app. Now @mattseeley has got HEVC direct playing on relevant models maybe he could look at whether it is possible to pass srt subtitles to the TV as well without transcoding?

• P21P21 Posts: 41Members ✭✭

Ok thanks for the quick reply. So I guess there is nothing to do but wait for LG to tackle this issue. Is mattseeley someone working for LG?

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,086Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

mattseeley works for Plex. He is one of our Smart TV developers.

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/articles/201869908-log-files/
  • salfabsalfab Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You definitely aren't the only one !

I'll add my name to the list :)

a video with or without HDR enabled really is night and day.

It would be amazing to have a feedback from plex, even if it is to say they won't prioritize it yet. At least we can then move on and try to find other solutions ;)

• 4ttitude4ttitude Posts: 0Members

@P21 I have the exact same problem on the same TV with the same formats. My CPU isn't even used for 100% but around 70 - 80. It indeed buffers and HDR get turned off when adding subs. Sometimes HDR wasnt turned of by luck i guess, but then you still have the buffering issue. With Xplay, HDR was kept on while subtitles were added. I really hope that 4k transcoding will be optimized somehow.

If anyone has a solution, let me know. For one or both of the issues.

Does it help to convert HVEC to something else?