If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Video stuttering after update to Plex for Android 6.13.0

4lextg4lextg Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a 2015 Sony XBR 850C. Under the new player the DVD quality MPEG2 micro-stutters constantly. Before the update these files played without issue.

If I play the same files under Plex for Kodi the play smoothly.

I downgraded back to 6.12.0 and it resolved the issue.

Best Answers

  • 4lextg4lextg Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

    6.13.6 has resolved the issue. I’m not seeing any problems now on 850C or 800D

«1

Answers

  • 4lextg4lextg Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Same issue on my Sony XBR 800D. Downgrading to 6.12 resolved issue on that tv as well.

  • fecaleaglefecaleagle Posts: 184Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 6

    Can you describe the micro-stuttering and/or provide a small sample? I'm on the current 6.13 beta with a 2017 Sony X900E and X800E, and I'm getting what I would describe as motion artifacts on quick camera pans and jitteriness with scrolling text on MPEG-2 TS video captured OTA with an HDHR.

    Almost seems like an issue with deinterlacing, but I'm not sure. Forcing a transcode corrects this, but I'm really pumped about getting direct play for MPEG-2 TS working smoothly on the Sony Android TVs.

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,434Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    The new player will direct play mpeg2 where the older app would transcode. I'll see if the devs can reproduce this issue.

    Can you guys provide me the XML for these videos?

  • 4lextg4lextg Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 12

    @MovieFan.Plex said:
    The new player will direct play mpeg2 where the older app would transcode. I'll see if the devs can reproduce this issue.

    Can you guys provide me the XML for these videos?

    The old player does not transcode. The MPEG2 has never transcoded on either of my Sony TVs. (Sever latest 1.10, player 6.12)

    DVD mkv's Direct Play, and mpegts from LiveTV Direct Stream.

  • 4lextg4lextg Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I should clarify I’m having the problem on DVD rips, I haven’t tested with my livetv data.. I reverted the player as soon as wife started complaining.

  • 4lextg4lextg Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 12

    Here's the XML data for a sample episode.

    How would I describe the problem? - I looks like its skipping frames, audio stays in sync, but the video is constantly jerking forward in small increments.

  • fecaleaglefecaleagle Posts: 184Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @MovieFan.Plex said:
    The new player will direct play mpeg2 where the older app would transcode. I'll see if the devs can reproduce this issue.

    Can you guys provide me the XML for these videos?

    Thanks. I have a thread over in the beta forum. Both of my Sony TVs are 2017 models, and after reading @4lextg's update, I think we are discussing separate symptoms for separate media formats.

  • 4lextg4lextg Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    How do I get access to those forums? I can check and see if my issue is reported there.

  • 4lextg4lextg Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Awesome, once I give it a go. I'll update here. Thanks!

  • MagicFloMagicFlo Posts: 8Members ✭✭
    edited February 9

    Hi, I experience the same problem as @4lextg - just the dvdrip files [Xvid codec for the most of them] are stuttering (720p / 1080p works now fine) on my Philips 4K AndroidTV and I have the lastest version available 6.13.2

    [Plus note : for my 4K files, my PMS on a Synology transcodes whereas it should not, my TV can handle the files with a HDD]

  • sixonessixones Posts: 409Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @MagicFlo said:
    Hi, I experience the same problem as @4lextg - just the dvdrip files [Xvid codec for the most of them] are stuttering (720p / 1080p works now fine) on my Philips 4K AndroidTV and I have the lastest version available 6.13.2

    [Plus note : for my 4K files, my PMS on a Synology transcodes whereas it should not, my TV can handle the files with a HDD]

    Could you try 6.13.3? If you still have the issue, please grab some logs and we can investigate!

  • Balthazar2k4Balthazar2k4 Posts: 299Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Nope, problem is actually worse in that now when I try to play something I just get the spinning progress circle and nothing happens. If I try to back out Android tells me the app has crashed. I can try to get some logs in a bit.

  • allroadusaallroadusa Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Hi, I'm face the same issue with app 6.13.3 on Sony Oled A1. Stuttering every 10 or 20 secondes. Image is frozen for 2 or 3 seconds while soundtrack continues. I manually reinstalled 6.12 and everything runs smooth again.

  • sixonessixones Posts: 409Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @Balthazar2k4 said:
    Nope, problem is actually worse in that now when I try to play something I just get the spinning progress circle and nothing happens. If I try to back out Android tells me the app has crashed. I can try to get some logs in a bit.

    We've pushed a fix for the issue you were experiencing in 6.13.4, sorry about that!

  • sixonessixones Posts: 409Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @allroadusa said:
    Hi, I'm face the same issue with app 6.13.3 on Sony Oled A1. Stuttering every 10 or 20 secondes. Image is frozen for 2 or 3 seconds while soundtrack continues. I manually reinstalled 6.12 and everything runs smooth again.

    Could you grab some logs from 6.13.4? Instructions for finding logs are available here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201573117-Android-and-GoogleTV-Logs

  • Balthazar2k4Balthazar2k4 Posts: 299Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 10

    @sixones said:

    @Balthazar2k4 said:
    Nope, problem is actually worse in that now when I try to play something I just get the spinning progress circle and nothing happens. If I try to back out Android tells me the app has crashed. I can try to get some logs in a bit.

    We've pushed a fix for the issue you were experiencing in 6.13.4, sorry about that!

    Thank you. I can confirm that fixed the playback issue for me.

    EDIT: Nope. Spoke too soon. While I can play videos again I am getting freezing video again on both 16.13.4 and 16.13.5.

  • allroadusaallroadusa Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 10

    Just tried 6.13.6. Seems to fix the stutter / frame drop on my KD65A1 !

  • sixonessixones Posts: 409Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @Balthazar2k4 said:
    EDIT: Nope. Spoke too soon. While I can play videos again I am getting freezing video again on both 16.13.4 and 16.13.5.

    16.13.6 will fix the frame drop / video freezing issue you are experiencing.

  • MagicFloMagicFlo Posts: 8Members ✭✭
    edited February 10

    Hi again @sixones
    Here a file info where the case was happening in 6.13.3 - testing the new releases since tonight

    EDIT : Still happening for some of them

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.