If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex ignoring GDPR which comes into force on 25th May 2018

Answers

• marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 447Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Why should "watched status" go???

Watched status is data that's stored on the local Plex server that I'm running on my computer. We are talking here about data that get's sent back to the mothership. Data that Plex moves out of your area of influence and does with it whatever they please.

And IF at some point my neighbors Facebook might really be better than mine ... than the question is: "AT WHAT PRICE?!"

We are talking here about data that gets gathered through "loyalty programs", data that gets sniffed on the internet (interresting article today on a german news paper: a non-free online dating website was found to have 50 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) different trackers on their webpage), data that your phone-apps might gather, data that ... don't know where else.

It's a f***** nightmare that has to stop.

• NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 1,754Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@marcelhehle said:
    Why should "watched status" go???

Watched status is data that's stored on the local Plex server that I'm running on my computer. We are talking here about data that get's sent back to the mothership. Data that Plex moves out of your area of influence and does with it whatever they please.

And IF at some point my neighbors Facebook might really be better than mine ... than the question is: "AT WHAT PRICE?!"

We are talking here about data that gets gathered through "loyalty programs", data that gets sniffed on the internet (interresting article today on a german news paper: a non-free online dating website was found to have 50 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) different trackers on their webpage), data that your phone-apps might gather, data that ... don't know where else.

It's a f***** nightmare that has to stop.

Wow.. Okay I was just saying.. Not to offend anyone.. After all none of this even applies to me and I have no sayso in the matter anyways. But I bet watch status does in some form get sent back to the mothership.

But what does it all mean to you EU folks? I mean if you app needs this tracking info to make it work and you say no, then you are saying I'm not going to use their product.

• abssorbabssorb Posts: 20Members ✭✭
    edited April 18

You can certainly end up with a scenario that USA Plex works differently from EU Plex, but that's not a big deal. Netflix already do that.

But in terms of data protection and privacy, it's unlikely. Well, where the organisation is big enough to have shareholders anyway. If facebook decided to pull out of Europe because they don't want to care enough about new data protection, the shareholders in the US will react badly.

GDPR will have a global impact. Most organisations now have a global presence, and although deciding not to trade with particular nation can be explained away with clever marketing, you can't do it with an entire continent over something this sensitive without risk to reputation and share value.

I hope that they fix this. I like Plex. We should give them a chance.

IF the watched status gets send back, then I'm the first to sue Plex, because they stated that they don't know the contents of our libraries.

And about an app that needs the data ... the GDPR is not about saying no. It's federal law that all companies that host private data of European citizens need to follow. I can't say yes or no to that just like I can't say yes or no to a speed limit. But it's not a problem: GDPR makes a difference between necessary data and unnecessary data (data minimalism principle: companies are only to gather the data they need to know in order to provide their service)

Unnecessary, excessive data gathering is prohibited
    Necessary data gathering is ok as long as

• I can request a copy of that data
    • I get to know what the data is used to
    • I can correct wrong data
    • I need to opt-in on every additional use of the data that's not necessary (like analytics)
    • Once necessary data isn't necessary any more I can also request it's deletion
  • JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,878Members ✭✭✭✭✭

@marcelhehle said:
    And IF at some point my neighbors Facebook might really be better than mine ... than the question is:

"WHO CARES?!"

IF my neighbor has a FacePlant Page he's got me beat by a mile.

Plex has already said, many times, they're not selling our data.
    Yes, the fact that they really, really, really, really need it does bring up concern (ROTFLOL), but if I want my Plex to work a mothership connection seems to be a requirement.

IF (LOL) Plex is selling our data - that's about the only revenue stream they're gonna get from me - until user relations improve - and there's no immediate danger of that happening, is there?

B)

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

@JuiceWSA said:
    Plex has already said, many times, they're not selling our data.

I've nothing to hide and there's nothing illegal in my library, BUT

I do mind if my data get's sold or not and also Plex hasn't really built up a reputation as a trustworthy, reliable vendor who works according to the highest quality standards.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,878Members ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been trying to form an opinion on that and I kinda have...
    Plex ain't no different from anybody else that's sunk a data well in my yard.
    This place looks like Kuwait.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

Time to drain the swamp and drive out the rats ...

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,977Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I believe that this whole discussion may well be moot. I do not believe Plex collects any personally identifiable data except for what is needed for billing and communication reasons. I am sure that the "data collection" that is doen for those reasons is perfectly acceptable.

The only thing it seems that Plex needs to do is allow customer's data to be completely wiped.

Personally I actually trust Plex with what data they have because they have never behaved in a way to earn my distrust. The data breach they had in the past was well addressed and did not involve any sensitive, to me, information.

The other data they collect is not personally identifiable and really of no import to me.

There are a LOT of companies I do not trust with even a minimal amount of my data but Plex I do trust and I think they are mostly already in compliance and all they need to add are the reporting parts and responding to customer requests part.

Also, as I have said before, the words on paper that is the law are mostly designed to make lawyers rich and placate the users that are the most paranoid. They may have teeth but those teeth will bite the consumers much harder than they ever will the corporate entities that they are supposed to hit.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

@JuiceWSA said:

LOL! You too. That's funny. I never understood that. I use the phone to stay in contact with my friends.

@JuiceWSA said:

But, yeah... I think the same way. They make $$ off your information.. Give or take.

@NewPlaza said:

@JuiceWSA said:

LOL! You too. That's funny. I never understood that. I use the phone to stay in contact with my friends.

@JuiceWSA said:

But, yeah... I think the same way. They make $$ off your information.. Give or take.

I do not understand anti-social media at all. I have minimal You tube and twitter accounts that I use extremely rarely and that I mostly lied to create. I have no Faceboor or any other social media account. If I find that a particular email account I have is getting too much spam I close it or block it and open another if needed and change it on the few companies I deal with that really need it.

I do not even understand most of the texting that is now so pervasive. It seems just unnecessary and even wasteful.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

"Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

And still ... if only one of your friends allows Facebook on their smartphone access to the contacts and your contact details are in there .... Facebook knows you

edited April 18

@marcelhehle said:
    And still ... if only one of your friends allows Facebook on their smartphone access to the contacts and your contact details are in there .... Facebook knows you

Of course. I don't use facebook cause I don't want them to know me.. I don't use facebook cause I have no need for it. I have very few friends and don't give a sh*t about my HS classmates and teachers. I do not use online-media to find employment and such. I have an Android phone but it's not linked into Google not because I don't want them to know/track me, it's because GOOGLE takes over my phone and updates all the apps (that I don't use) then the phone starts to slow down.

@marcelhehle said:

Friends? I don't need no stinkin' friends.

Actually no one I know well enough to share any sensitive info with is foolish enough to use Facebook or most other anti-social media.

Mostly I use throw away email addresses for communication with anyone I do not completely trust and my real name and address is never used when I create those addresses.

I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough.

We cannot even approach real security if we use the internet but we can take reasonable precautions.

@NewPlaza said:
    Of course. I don't use facebook cause I don't want them to know me..

That's not what I said.

@Elijah_Baley said:
    We cannot even approach real security if we use the internet but we can take reasonable precautions.

Yeah. Where I'm from alot of peoples personal information is freely given by the government/state/county. It's a stalker's paradise. The world we live in.

edited April 18

@marcelhehle said:

@NewPlaza said:
    Of course. I don't use facebook cause I don't want them to know me..

That's not what I said.

@marcelhehle said:

Facebook knows you

@NewPlaza said:

Of course. I don't use facebook cause I don't want them to know me.

@Elijah_Baley said:

Mostly I use throw away email addresses for communication with anyone I do not completely trust and my real name and address is never used when I create those addresses.

If your phone number - your real phone number - is on the phone of only one person that allows FB access to their contacts than FB knows your phone number. Same for address, same for your real name if it's in the contact details.

I bet, that there is at least 1 person that has your contact details and FB! If not, then you must have been living in a cave without human interaction for the last years.

edited April 18

If your phone number - your real phone number - is on the phone of only one person that allows FB access to their contacts than FB knows your phone number. Same for address, same for your real name if your data is in the contact details of another persons phone.

How loud do I have to shout until you will finally understand?!?!

@NewPlaza said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

Yeah. Where I'm from alot of peoples personal information is freely given by the government/state/county. It's a stalker's paradise. The world we live in.

True. That is another reason to avoid using one's real name when signing up for any of the internet services, even Plex, If they do not know your name or social security number then it is much more difficult to glean information from government agencies.