If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex ignoring GDPR which comes into force on 25th May 2018

124678

Answers

  • NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 1,754Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @marcelhehle said:

    If your phone number - your real phone number - is on the phone of only one person that allows FB access to their contacts than FB knows your phone number. Same for address, same for your real name if your data is in the contact details of another persons phone.

    How loud do I have to shout until you will finally understand?!?!

    Same thing.. Let's assume my real phone #, real name, real address(lol actually none of my friends know my address), then FB "knows me" in some form or another. Again I don't care and this is not the reason why I don't use FB.

  • nydave69nydave69 Posts: 96Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    IMO the information that Plex could collect really isn't useful to anyone other then Plex..
    If they were running ads and were selectively placing them that would be different..
    Who cares what movie or TV show I may have watched last night...

  • NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 1,754Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @nydave69 said:
    IMO the information that Plex could collect really isn't useful to anyone other then Plex..
    If they were running ads and were selectively placing them that would be different..
    Who cares what movie or TV show I may have watched last night...

    Yep.. People are scared about the whole "pirating" thing. This would be a different story entirely if it was di*ks pics.

  • Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,977Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @NewPlaza said:

    @nydave69 said:
    IMO the information that Plex could collect really isn't useful to anyone other then Plex..
    If they were running ads and were selectively placing them that would be different..
    Who cares what movie or TV show I may have watched last night...

    Yep.. People are scared about the whole "pirating" thing. This would be a different story entirely if it was di*ks pics.

    I have a good remedy for that. Don't pirate then you do not have to pee your pants every time you think you might be discovered.

    Plex does not even collect data about what a person has watched. They collect data about length, encoding used, time watched and a few other internal things that give info that helps them improve their system. They do not even tie that data to a given person and, even if they did, people should avoid using their real name for a service if they do not completely trust that service.

    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

    From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

  • NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 1,754Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 18

    @Elijah_Baley said:
    I have a good remedy for that. Don't pirate then you do not have to pee your pants every time you think you might be discovered.

    Just text my friend and asked how would he feel if all his home videos with his GF was leaked. He said he would be embarrass. I was like, hmm how interesting..... Not once did we talk about legal stuff.

  • JamminRJamminR Posts: 3,482Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @NewPlaza said:
    An example of this could be (BUT NOT LIMITED TO), watched status gone, OnDeck gone, ContinueWatching gone...

    I'm of the opinion that Plex should be more of a local application than a 'service'.
    Plex's remote servers should never require knowing any of the items you mention.
    NOT EVEN for transaction.
    They should be stored 100% locally on my own PMS server.
    Once Plex's remote servers tell my client where my server address is, I should be handed off to my internet connection when remote. When local, to hell with Plex remote servers imo.
    (But we all know that's not true, as our own internet outages, and Plex's authentication servers, show)
    THAT is what many of us want.

    Sure, as much as we want it, it may and will likely never happen, but that is the pain many of us have been feeling for quite some time.

    Server - HW: I7-4790K(Haswell), 16GB - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.13.0.5003
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 2TB RAID1(Intel Z87) + 4x4TB RAID5(QNAP TS-653Pro)
    Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~20mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - Tautulli - UASv3 - PlexEmail - FMoviesPlus
  • Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,977Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @JamminR said:

    @NewPlaza said:
    An example of this could be (BUT NOT LIMITED TO), watched status gone, OnDeck gone, ContinueWatching gone...

    I'm of the opinion that Plex should be more of a local application than a 'service'.
    Plex's remote servers should never require knowing any of the items you mention.
    NOT EVEN for transaction.
    They should be stored 100% locally on my own PMS server.
    Once Plex's remote servers tell my client where my server address is, I should be handed off to my internet connection when remote. When local, to hell with Plex remote servers imo.
    (But we all know that's not true, as our own internet outages, and Plex's authentication servers, show)
    THAT is what many of us want.

    Sure, as much as we want it, it may and will likely never happen, but that is the pain many of us have been feeling for quite some time.

    My local Plex always works no matter if I have internet or not. I have had some extended outages on the last year and not once have I been unable to watch my Plex content. As far as Plex goes it seems the only thing I need internet for is downloading metadata when I add new stuff. I know a LOT of people regularly report problems when their internet is down or when Plex servers are not accessible but I have never had any problems.

    Maybe I am just lucky or maybe there is something unique in my setup but there seems to be no reason that Plex would not work and keep up with watched status.

    I NEVER need the internet for me local Plex to work.

    It seems that nothing I need like watched status has any need of the Plex servers or the internet at all.

    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

    From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

  • JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,878Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19

    @NewPlaza said:
    I have an Android phone but it's not linked into Google not because I don't want them to know/track me, it's because GOOGLE takes over my phone and updates all the apps (that I don't use) then the phone starts to slow down.

    Oh, Dude... I just got a new phone - when it became fairly clear to my carrier I wasn't going to upgrade the old one and they gave me one (just like they did the last time - will they ever learn? Idiots!). Anyway, this new one is really fast and I have learned how to turn off all the notifications so all that **** I don't need, will never use, can't stop and used to annoy the HELL out of me on the old phone - just does it's thing without me knowing anything about it. It's great.

    I link with Google 'cause I have Google Drive to backup my cat photos, pictures of my butt and stuff to share with people - and I use G Drive to transfer media back and forth to family... 15G at a time. They keep telling me how wonderful it is to have more storage - I keep using 14.5 gigs of what I got and think about how long it takes me to upload 14.5 gigs at 6Mbps. I ain't got much life left - I sure as HELL don't want to spend any more of it uploading stuff to G-Drive...

    FOOLS!

    Yep.. People are scared about the whole "pirating" thing.

    Not from where I'm sitting...
    A dozen times a day I'm telling people to rename those torrents so they'll work better and they fight Plex tooth and nail thinking they won't have to - until they have to - then they're all sad and ****.

    B)

    Tony

    FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

    Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

    Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

    Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

  • NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 1,754Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @JuiceWSA said:
    Not from where I'm sitting...
    A dozen times a day I'm telling people to rename those torrents so they'll work better and they fight Plex tooth and nail thinking they won't have to - until they have to - then they're all sad and ****.

    B)

    Pirates helping pirates, lol

  • marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 447Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @JamminR said:
    I'm of the opinion that Plex should be more of a local application than a 'service'.

    Couldn't agree more.

    @nydave69 said:
    Who cares what movie or TV show I may have watched last night...

    The advertisement industrie and the media industrie. The former will use your media consumption to produce a profile of you (young, male, likes action movies and beer), the later will want to know what movies attract the most audience and if possible what scenes get the most attention.

  • marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 447Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 19

    https://reuters.com/article/us-facebook-privacy-eu-exclusive/exclusive-facebook-to-put-1-5-billion-users-out-of-reach-of-new-eu-privacy-law-idUSKBN1HQ00P

    Exclusive: Facebook to put 1.5 billion users out of reach of new EU privacy law

    In practice, the change means the 1.5 billion affected (non-European) users will not be able to file complaints with Ireland’s Data Protection Commissioner or in Irish courts. Instead they will be governed by more lenient U.S. privacy laws, said Michael Veale, a technology policy researcher at University College London.

    Facebook will have more leeway in how it handles data about those users, Veale said. Certain types of data such as browsing history, for instance, are considered personal data under EU law but are not as protected in the United States, he said.

  • marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 447Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    The scum is fleeing through the backdoor ...

    Looks like in future there will be 2 classes of users with the Europeans being more favored.

  • nydave69nydave69 Posts: 96Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @marcelhehle said:

    @JamminR said:
    I'm of the opinion that Plex should be more of a local application than a 'service'.

    Couldn't agree more.

    @nydave69 said:
    Who cares what movie or TV show I may have watched last night...


    The advertisement industrie and the media industrie. The former will use your media consumption to produce a profile of you (young, male, likes action movies and beer), the later will want to know what movies attract the most audience and if possible what scenes get the most attention.

    Your making the assumption that type of information is being collected,
    Other then my user name and information for my plex pass years ago they have no other personal information to correlate with the name of the 70's movie or show being watched, that's if I am the one actually watching it using that user name.. Actually i would think that's a lot of work for some really useless information.

    If there using that type of information OK. to what end.. so they know what the general audience wants..
    I'm not sure that's actually a bad thing...

  • JamminRJamminR Posts: 3,482Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 19

    In case people don't know or question what is collected by Plex, with only a slight opt-OUT (not in) option for some of the generalized anonymous data, reference https://www.plex.tv/about/privacy-legal/privacy-preferences/

    It's never been clear to me from even that chart whether they know what I'm searching for or not, but I sure hope not.
    I don't even like the fact they may be tracking what unsupported plug-ins I'm searching in.

    And you poor souls who believe and often say "if you don't do anything wrong (in Plex case, often pirate media related), then you have nothing to worry about"
    You're wrong, on so many levels.
    Privacy is a right, it should never have been a currency on the internet.
    The GDPR, in theory at least, is a good idea towards converting that back.

    @nydave69 said:
    Actually i would think that's a lot of work for some really useless information.

    It's no work at all. Computer AI marketing algorithms make some scary close online profiles of people.

    Server - HW: I7-4790K(Haswell), 16GB - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.13.0.5003
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 2TB RAID1(Intel Z87) + 4x4TB RAID5(QNAP TS-653Pro)
    Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~20mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - Tautulli - UASv3 - PlexEmail - FMoviesPlus
  • JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,878Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19

    I am actually looking forward to a cement filled well casing taking the front door off it's hinges - and as it flies across the room, taking out my Fish Tank, and causing at least two cases of Instant Cat Cardiac Arrest - as 17 Amped Up Federal Agents pour through the now clear orifice and start beating senseless, what's left of, my family (don't worry, we won't put up a fight - 75% of us are already dead from heart failure), pets and any Friends that might be here watching a Movie or something.

    It'll be a lot more interesting than what's been going on - that's certain.

    Hey, Man... We surrender.
    Take us to Prison - Here's a list of the medications we need.

    B)

    (I am really pissed about the Cat Trauma and my Fsh Tank though)

    Tony

    FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

    Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

    Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

    Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

  • NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 1,754Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @JamminR said:
    Privacy is a right, it should never have been a currency on the internet.

    Perhaps... Then everything about the internet experience would of been different if everything was to be paid for. Free always costs.

  • JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,878Members ✭✭✭✭✭

    @NewPlaza said:
    Perhaps... Then everything about the internet experience would of been different if everything was to be paid for. Free always costs.

    One way or another...

    Tony

    FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

    Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

    Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

    Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

  • marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 447Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @NewPlaza said:

    @JamminR said:
    Privacy is a right, it should never have been a currency on the internet.

    Perhaps... Then everything about the internet experience would of been different if everything was to be paid for. Free always costs.

    I'm old. REALLY OLD. I still remember those days when we had Gopher. Later www was introduced with the Netscape browser. Back then the Internet was free. And it was way better than it is today! No ads, no tracking, less bullshit, less advertisement ...

  • RyanDungeyMXRyanDungeyMX Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @marcelhehle said:

    @NewPlaza said:

    @JamminR said:
    Privacy is a right, it should never have been a currency on the internet.

    Perhaps... Then everything about the internet experience would of been different if everything was to be paid for. Free always costs.

    I'm old. REALLY OLD. I still remember those days when we had Gopher. Later www was introduced with the Netscape browser. Back then the Internet was free. And it was way better than it is today! No ads, no tracking, less bullshit, less advertisement ...

    Of course it wasn't better than today, its nostalgia talking right here.

  • JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,878Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20

    @marcelhehle said:
    I'm old. REALLY OLD.

    We'll see about that:

    Count all the ones that you remember- not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom.

    1. Blackjack chewing gum
    2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
    3. Candy cigarettes
    4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles
    5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
    6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
    7. Party Telephone Lines
    8. Newsreels before the movie
    9. P.F. Flyers
    10. Butch wax
    11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive 4 - 6933)
    12. Peashooters
    13. Howdy Doody
    14. 45 RPM records
    15. S&H Green Stamps
    16. Hi-fi's
    17. Metal ice trays with lever
    18. Mimeograph paper
    19. Blue flashbulb
    20. Packards and Hudsons
    21. Roller skate keys
    22. Cork popguns
    23. Drive-ins
    24. Studebakers
    25. Wash tub wringers

    And You Are..................

    • 0-5 = You're still young
    • 6-10 = You are getting older
    • 11-15 = Don't tell your age
    • 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

    I scored in the 99.9% bracket...
    We had News Reels, but they contained mostly farm animals...

    B)

    Tony

    FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

    Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

    Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

    Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

Sign In or Register to comment.