If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex ignoring GDPR which comes into force on 25th May 2018

Answers

• nydave69nydave69 Posts: 96Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 24

Edited by moderator!

Please stay on topic, or open a new thread!

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,878Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20

Saw Gas @ .19 once... Gas and a pack of Cigarettes used to cost about the same... then everything went to ****...

B)

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,977Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I owned 78 RPM records and the first record I purchased with my own money was Elvis Presley's "You Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog" on 78.

I also remember being able, at 8, to tell my mother I am going outside to play with my friends and she saying "OK, be back by dark." Also, in the summer, I was allowed out after dark as long as I stayed within a block or so of home and I always felt safe.

BTW: That was not in a rural area but was in a pretty big city.

I also remember "I Like Ike" campaign buttons.

But I do NOT remember when coke still had cocaine in its formula. ;)

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 3,482Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 20

@paulsalter - Spam? Really? Off topic indeed, but not Spam report worthy.

@NewPlaza said:
    Perhaps... Then everything about the internet experience would of been different if everything was to be paid for. Free always costs.

I tend to agree with some of the others replying to your comment.
    I first started "surfing" in 1993-94. Though an occasional banner ad linking DIRECTLY from the owners site appeared (this was long before popups/popunders), the mass tracking spam marketing profile making privacy robbing systems of today didn't exist. Nostalgic? Yes.
    Better for privacy? Absolutely, and still profitable for the site hosting the ad, and likely the producer.
    I understand companies want to make money. They should do this through less invasive marketing that makes me want to go to their site for my purchase needs. Not by making a profile of my surfing habits and following me with ads for the rest of my life at every other site I go to because I looked for an item for a distant relative 3 years ago*
    *No, this doesn't happen to me due to router based DNS block lists and browser based noscript tools, but I know many relatives and neighbors who don't know better that it does.

More on topic - I got a quick blurb that Facebook's solution to the GDPR is they are moving 1.5 billion non-EU user profiles out of the Ireland data center to the US data centers. (plenty of articles exist - I read this one - https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/facebook-to-put-1-5bn-users-out-of-reach-of-new-eu-gdpr-privacy-law-1.3466837 )
    Love it. /sarcasm

I'm still curious what, if any, plans Plex has.

Server - HW: I7-4790K(Haswell), 16GB - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.13.0.5003
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 2TB RAID1(Intel Z87) + 4x4TB RAID5(QNAP TS-653Pro)
    Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~20mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - Tautulli - UASv3 - PlexEmail - FMoviesPlus
  • nydave69nydave69 Posts: 96Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@JamminR said:

I'm still curious what, if any, plans Plex has.

I thought that whole thing about the new privacy statement, rules and opt out/in last year with Plex was so they would be complaint.

edited April 20

@JamminR said:

I see my "Spam" flag has been removed but there are still a number of others in this thread that are inappropriately flagged.
    But I guess children will be children and there is little that can be done about it.
    I have always considered flags like these as badges of honor. They indicate that at least someone is actually reading what I have written, on or off topic. It gives me a feeling of purpose so I even have to thank those that flag me.
    So, thank you @paulsalter you have made my day and I am sure the others you tried to spank in this thread feel the same.

Oh, I still do not feel that what Plex does or does not do about compliance matters at all.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

"Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

@Elijah_Baley said:
    @JamminR said:

I see my "Spam" flag has been removed but there are still a number of others in this thread that are inappropriately flagged.
    But I guess children will be children and there is little that can be done about it.

I understand New Forum Software will be employed soon.
    I wonder if my 'Demerits' can be imported in?
    I hope so. I would hate to think @paulsalter wasted a click.

Tony

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

Oh goody, my spam flag is back!!! I would not want to be left out.

@JuiceWSA said:
    I hope so. I would hate to think @paulsalter wasted a click.

The clicks are not wasted. Rather they are affirmations of value to the board. Especially when conveyed by someone without the courage to actually contribute and debate.

@Elijah_Baley said:

@JamminR was spared of the humiliation upon reflection, but you, Sir, shall pay the price for your... words.

So, how's that whole GDPR Compliance thing going?
    Anything new to report?

Tony

@JuiceWSA said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

@JamminR was spared of the humiliation upon reflection, but you, Sir, shall pay the price for your... words.

So, how's that whole GDPR Compliance thing going?
    Anything new to report?

I do not know about anyone else but I am in full compliance. I am fully terrified of the EU and their burden of laws so I made sure that I was in no way in violation of the GDPR.

• marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 447Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Guys, you can make fun of it, find it useless and continue to behave like little children, but fact is: the EU has made it perfectly clear that they won't tolerate sloppy handling of personal data any more.

As another user put it some comments back: Data privacy just became a human right.

Also fact is that some companies are already pulling non-European data out of Europe whereas for European clients they are communicating that they will fully comply with the new legal situation. So far as a customer I don't see anything bad in that. AND ... in the past a lot of other countries and/or regions (sorry US-Americans, not you) aligned their privacy laws to common, global standards (Canadian, Australian and Asian laws have been very similar to European laws as they were before GDPR). That would from now be the GDPR.

• marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 447Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 21

And as I was typing this Facebook and AirBnB sent me an email to ask me to review and accept their new terms.

Well then ...

NICE!!!
    Facebook just shows me a lengthy list of options as ask my permission on various topic. Targeted ads, content based on my religious/sexual/political preferences, allowance for photo recognition, ...

I have to wonder why anyone that cares about security would use Facebook. It seems somewhat self defeating.

Plex is a LOT less dangerous no matter if they are in or out of compliance.

Also the EU cannot guarantee compliance. All they can do is get documentation that says companies are compliant. This concerns digital storage and that can be easily hidden. There is no reasonable enforcement method that can uncover electronically hidden files unless there is an insider that knows how and where they are hidden.

Basically the GDPR is like a lock on a door, it only serves to keep the honest people honest. Crooks will be successful unless someone inside their origination turns on them.

I have to apologize to thos that said that Plex is not compiling and is basically in violation of the GDPR. My view of the GDPR has not changed but I received an email saying that Plex has made some changes that put them in compliance then a user in the Plex Pass general forum posted this from the TOS:

1. PERMISSION TO USE USER CONTENT. You continue to retain any ownership rights you have in the User Content you make available to Plex. However, by submitting or making available any type of User Content, you automatically and hereby grant to Plex a perpetual, royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable and non-exclusive right and license to adopt, publish, reproduce, disseminate, transmit, distribute, copy, use, create derivative works of, and display (in whole or in part) worldwide, or act on any such User Content, without additional approval or consideration, in furtherance of and in connection with the operation of the Plex Solution, and you hereby waive any claim to the contrary. You specifically acknowledge that the Plex Solution facilitates distribution of the User Content, and you hereby grant to any user with whom you share content a non-exclusive license to access the User Content through the Plex Solution, and to use, reproduce in copies, distribute, display and perform the shared User Content as permitted through the functionality of the Plex Solution. You represent that you have all necessary rights to make the foregoing grants and to otherwise make User Content(s) available to Plex and for (and through) the Plex Solution.

That clearly says that by sharing you are giving all your media to Plex to do with as they please. That is wrong and, even though I do not share my media, it is only non-criminal because Plex put it in the TOS. Unless it can be reasonably thoroughly explained it turns Plex into a den of thieves.

I fell VERY stupid for not catching it earlier but I just skimmed that section because it did not seem to impact me.

• coder-alphacoder-alpha Posts: 815Members ✭✭✭

While I have not read the new Plex policy I would like to be pointed regarding the following...

1. Where can I see ALL the data Plex has collected on me ?
      Right of access by the data subject Art. 15 : https://gdpr-info.eu/art-15-gdpr/

2. And where the big red delete ALL user data button lies ?
      Right to erasure (‘right to be forgotten’) Art. 17 : https://gdpr-info.eu/art-17-gdpr/

PS: Intentional use of all caps ALL.

OS: Win7, Win10, Ubuntu 16.04, MacOS Sierra, FreeBSD 11.0

Storage: 4x6TB WD PR4100 NAS

Clients: PlexWeb, Samsung Plex App, Sony Opera App, Firestick Android, PS4, Samsung Galaxy S7, iPhone 7.0

Channels: FMoviesPlus, cCloudTv, Einthusan, DesiTelly

If you like my channels you can support my beer fund here ;)

My published channels and other work in progress on github

edited April 24

@Elijah_Baley - I came here to raise point of that exact section.
    Technically, in the US, people do not own the media they've converted from disc format.
    They are licensed to view discs privately. Technically, they've already broken laws to make private backups of it.
    (scary, many don't know this - from my understanding in the US, it's legal to own a backup of a DRM disc, it's not legal to have broken the DRM to make that backup)

I'd like to see Plex use any of our non-owned privately licensed content.
    Apparently most of us are already breaking TOS when we sign up, as it's really not our media, its a big studio, and we've been licensed to watch it when we purchase the disc. :)

Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!

@coder-alpha said:
    While I have not read the new Plex policy I would like to be pointed regarding the following...

1. Where can I see ALL the data Plex has collected on me ?
      Right of access by the data subject Art. 15 : https://gdpr-info.eu/art-15-gdpr/

2. And where the big red delete ALL user data button lies ?
      Right to erasure (‘right to be forgotten’) Art. 17 : https://gdpr-info.eu/art-17-gdpr/

PS: Intentional use of all caps ALL.

No magic buttons.
    It's covered in the privacy policy though.
    https://www.plex.tv/about/privacy-legal/privacy-policy-may-2018/
    Section

Q: Your Collected Information. In order to view, amend, erase, or correct your Collected Information, contact Plex Support. All requests will be answered within one month of receipt

@JamminR said:
    @Elijah_Baley - I came here to raise point of that exact section.
    Technically, in the US, people do not own the media they've converted from disc format.
    They are licensed to view discs privately. Technically, they've already broken laws to make private backups of it.
    (scary, many don't know this - from my understanding in the US, it's legal to own a backup of a DRM disc, it's not legal to have broken the DRM to make that backup)

I'd like to see Plex use any of our non-owned privately licensed content.
    Apparently most of us are already breaking TOS when we sign up, as it's really not our media, its a big studio, and we've been licensed to watch it when we purchase the disc. :)

That is true but I am not really concerned about media I converted from disk but rather I am concerned for the couple I have living next door where they have a LARGE collection of pictures and home video of their grand children and great grand children and two great great grand children and that does not mention their numerous nieces, nephews and various greats of each. Many of their extremely extended family have similar collections and they are always viewing each other's collections of the media.

That TOS section says that all those kid pictures and videos are free to be used by Plex in any way Plex wants to.

It does not matter that Plex will never actually use that media in any way the fact is that TOS section says they can and they can even share the media with anyone they choose.

It is just dead wrong to have that in their TOS.

• NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 1,754Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Elijah_Baley said:
    That TOS section says that all those kid pictures and videos are free to be used by Plex in any way Plex wants to.

It does not matter that Plex will never actually use that media in any way the fact is that TOS section says they can and they can even share the media with anyone they choose.

Sounds like any other TOS, doesn't it?

@NewPlaza said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

Sounds like any other TOS, doesn't it?

Not really. No TOS or use contract I have read explicitly says that the company claims the right to personal data stored in the users home. It is somewhat like a local gym having the right to come into your home and taking whatever they want to use for a while just because you signed up to use the gym twice a week.