If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Forced converting outside my network.

strendstrend Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

When streaming via LAN i have "Convert Maximum" wich in the test case is 1080p 2.2Mbps. But outside its only 2Mbps 720p as "max". This is a noticable difference. Even if i watch trough the app.plex.tv it goes down to 2Mbps. Internet connection is 500/500 Mbps so it is really annoyng when my users complain about quality o_O It works much better on LAN and i tried adding my external ip to the "LAN Networks" list but no change. Is it not possible witch plex to always FORCE direct streaming, WITHOUT convertion ??

Answers

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 1,077Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There is a setting on the server side for limiting stream size, but I believe it's mostly determined on the client side. You can go into a Roku or Xbox (whatever)'s settings and increase the quality there. That will determine what Plex sends on the server side.

The media also needs to be compatible with the client as well. That's another determining factor.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

• strendstrend Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

When setting it to auto in app.plex.tv it goes down to 1.7Mbps SD. Even worse =P

edited February 9

Here's a screenshot of the appropriate spot for the web interface (client/remote speed limit):

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

Here's another area on the server side to take a look at (your end).

• strendstrend Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

They have always been on Maximum and Unlimited. Setting the beta "auto" option is what made it worse. But i can not get it to stop converting down from 1080p to 720p outside my LAN.