If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for Samsung Tizen (3.2.2) not displaying videos Aspect Ratio correctly

Oh dear, version 3.1.0 was great but the latest 3.2.2 released this week is not displaying widescreen videos correctly.

I am no expert but I am guessing the aspect ratio is not being interpreted properly.

Certain videos (I can give you details of the MP4 file) that should be 16:9 or 2.35:1 are now appearing 'squashed in' from the sides.

I'll leave that one with you developers!

Ubuntu Server 16.04.3 LTS
Quad Core 4.3Ghz CPU with 16Gb RAM
Plex Media Server
Plex for Android 6.12.0
Samsung UE49KU6400 with Plex 3.2.2 (was 3.0.10)

• morkboy_wondermorkboy_wonder Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the exact same problem. Getting round it by disabling direct play and direct stream. Far from ideal

• SapphireIanSapphireIan Posts: 2Members

Same for me here, it's happening on every .mkv file I've tried, everything looks 4:3. Works fine on Android.

• thebouncingballthebouncingball Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yep i found out last night when getting ready to chill and watch a film all files shown in 4:3 and on a 65" curved TV it was just terrible :(. Any updates on a fix?

• _Alasdair__Alasdair_ Posts: 3Members

I spotted this issue the day after an update to 3.2.2

Tizen : 2.4.0
    Plex for Samsung : 3.2.2
    Updated : 2018-02-08

PLEX Server : Official Synology version "An update is available", however this would be a manual install, not the Synology package (which in due course, I would expect to become available). The release notes do not refer to aspect ratio explicitly or implicitly.

I have seen the problem only on MPEG2 files at this time. (I have not checked everything in my library).

Most files in my library are mpeg2 or mpeg4 files (unmodified DTV broadcast streams) encapsulated as mkv.

HD (1080) material plays fine, full screen.
    MPEG4 material that isn't 1080 is also playing fine : eg 720p, 480p material

MPEG2 576 line material is always squashed horizontally. 720 pixels are squashed into a 4:3 frame; 544 pixels (SATV sources) are squashed even more.

I have tested a small number of mpeg(2) files (as opposed to mkv files) with the same results.

Playing videos through a web browser continues to work correctly.

Forgot to add : as morkboy_wonder stated, disabling direct play is the only workaround that I have found.

• AndrewUKAndrewUK Posts: 41Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 11

Yes, reporting the same issue here. Samsung v3.2.2

Looks like DVD anamorphic 16:9 res (576/480) stuff is squashed into a 4:3 720x576(480) ratio when it should be expanded to 1024x576(480)

These are all MKV files encoded in h264 format, direct played by the telly.

The files behave and playback correctly via my Roku 3, PMP on PC and also good old Windows Media Player even works so looks like something got broken in this latest release.

Here's a 30 second / 10M video example of a file that plays back incorrectly:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qllauriw453iahj/Status Quo - Aquostic advert.mkv?dl=0

• SiHaSiHa Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Another confirmation of the fault. All DVD rips seem to be squashed with 3.2.2. I have logs and a clip, is it worth uploading them?

• b-ark-610873b-ark-610873 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Another confirmation from me. This is for DVD rips to mp4/h.264 - come out squashed rather than anamorphic. The files work fine on a FireStick.

• SapphireIanSapphireIan Posts: 2Members

I'm quite new to this forum, is there a way to find out if this has been accepted as a bug and if so, an ETA for a fix?

What are the downsides of the suggested workarounds? I've not had a lot of chance to play with it, but as soon as I implemented the workaround, I seemed to have a lot of buffering issues (although I seem to get those quite a bit anyway).

Is it possible to back out the change and regress to the earlier version?

• morkboy_wondermorkboy_wonder Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sapphire lan the workaround forces the server to transcode. That is probably why you are getting buffering. This fault with the app is really annoying.

• SpaceRubbishSpaceRubbish Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi guys ! Since 3.2.2 update a lot of my 4K movies are buffering besides Plex says it is direct play.
    I am using Plex 3.2.2 on a Tizen 3.0 Samsung TV.

• macsette4macsette4 Posts: 1Members

With the latest version 3.2.2 squashing video's on samsung tizen tv's now being a month old; is there a fix on the way yet ?
    If not, is it possible to rename the previous working vesion to 3.2.3 so that it will upload as a temporary patch ?

• paullittlefieldpaullittlefield Posts: 56Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Wow, I hadn't realised that this bug has been going on for a MONTH now... how time flies when you're a Plex developer eh?! :-(

Ubuntu Server 16.04.3 LTS
    Quad Core 4.3Ghz CPU with 16Gb RAM
    Plex Media Server
    Plex for Android 6.12.0
    Samsung UE49KU6400 with Plex 3.2.2 (was 3.0.10)

• yotofujiyotofuji Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 Still seeking a permanent solution to this issue

• yotofujiyotofuji Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 Still awaiting a permanent solution