If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New roku update forces a transcode on srt embedded subtitles.

chris243chris243 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Most of my media has srt subtitles embedded in the mkv and I always have them on but after this update they are triggering a video transcode. But if I choose an external srt subtitle it will direct stream fine. This is annoying since it was working just fine before. Hopefully this is a glitch that can be fixed.

• charlie2alphacharlie2alpha Posts: 148Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is a known issue since the beta. What is regrettable though is the fact that they pushed this broken player to the stable version without fixing its bugs at all. This is really bad practice .

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,472Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10

I have some external (UTF-8) srt files and some internal (UTF-8) embedded sub title tracks (MKV) and they all Direct Play on my Roku 3 without issue.

For what it's worth.

• ECO - TVECO - TV Posts: 64Members ✭✭

Yes. I am definitely experiencing it as well

• mannibismannibis Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is there any update on this? Kind of frustrating.

• jeffmdjeffmd Posts: 87Members ✭✭

How could you stand roku's softsubs? they were so misalligned, mis timed. and looked horrible.. Once I discovered how to get them to work and tried them I instantly switched back, I'll take the transcode quality hit. -_-

• charlie2alphacharlie2alpha Posts: 148Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I think this is solved on the latest Plex Pass version. It stopped transcoding the video necessarily at least for me.

• gdobgdob Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well this is weird. For me it transcodes video with external subs but only if played after the post play coundown. If I stop and start the playback again manually the video isn’t transcoded and the subs aren’t burned-in.

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,925Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Most of these subtitle quirks have been fixed in our latest Plex Pass for Roku update. These changes will be included in our next official release. A little back story on this is is that we had to rewrite our video player using RSG (Roku Scene Graph), as Roku deprecated the video players we were using. This new player (RSG) did not support the method we used to convert incompatible subtitles on the fly, therefore they had to be burned in if selected. We have a new method now that required some help from the server. Everything should be as smooth as before as long as you are using Plex Media Server v1.11.1+ and Plex for Roku v5.1.3+.