If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Running Plex 1.10.1.4602 on Ubuntu Server 16.04 and Plex Server status is indirect

digitalbotsdigitalbots Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Hello All,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here I go.

Here is how I came to where I am now. I had an OpenMediaVault machine that hosted plex. The Plex app stopped working because it was conflicting with the WebGUI Config panel of the OpenMediaVault. So I uninstalled Plex from that machine and it is no longer running on that box.

I then installed Plex Server 1.10.1.4602 on my Standalone (meaning the only plex is on this box and nothing else) Ubuntu 16.04 server.

Since I did this EVERY device shows the plex server is "indirect". While before the OMV Plex app died I had a direct connection.

I have not made any changes to my network from the uninstall from OVM to the install on the new Ubuntu box.

I then did some digging on forms and saw that DNSMasq needs to be disabled on my router. So I did that and rebooted the router. Still says indirect.

On the plex server, i disabled "Secure connections". It still says indirect.

I wish I knew what version was on my old OMV server as that I am sure that would help the troubleshooting but as per 1.10.1.4602 I keep getting "indirect"

Now to be clear I can get to the box via the Plex app on all of my devices but the quality is low.

Currently, my network looks like this

Router - 192.168.11.1 -> DHCP Server - 192.168.211.1 -> Media files are on - 192.168.211.115 -> and Plex is - 192.168.211.113 -> All devices 192.168.211.100-255

any direction would be helpful, thanks in advanced.

Best Answer

• digitalbotsdigitalbots Posts: 10Members ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

ok gave it a shot. I moved everybody to the 192.168.11.x network. SO now it is.
    Router - 192.168.11.1 -> DHCP Server - 192.168.11.10 -> Media files are on - 192.168.11.115 -> and Plex is - 192.168.11.205 -> All devices 192.168.11.100-255

On all cabled devices Plex says "nearby". But any wifi devices it says it is "indirect".

I checked the ip's of a wifi device and its ip is 192.168.11.152 with a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0.

This is strange because like i said before I didnt change anything else on the network so I am not sure why everything started acting up.

So I went to my "work log" to see I changed the MTU on my router 3 days before i did any work on the plex. I changed the MTU back to 1500 now all Wifi and wired devices worked.

Thanks again for your help. This was a odd one but I am glad you knew what to do!

Answers