If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Does Plex on Xbox One X support HDR and 4K playback?

Sterling, #6Sterling, #6 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

That's all. Thank you.

Answers

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 5,050Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Currently all versions of the Xbox One can direct play 4K material, only the original version (the non s) cannot output 4K material.

While HDR material will direct play, it currently will not trigger HDR output mode on the Xbox One. This typically will cause HDR movies to appear washed out with the color.

• elitemikeelitemike Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

HDR content looks horrible right now. I'm extremely disappointed this has not been addressed yet. I tend to use PLEX as my default player and leave my original content out of the kids reach so this content has simply not been watched yet.

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 552Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@elitemike said:
    HDR content looks horrible right now. I'm extremely disappointed this has not been addressed yet. I tend to use PLEX as my default player and leave my original content out of the kids reach so this content has simply not been watched yet.

Interesting. I've been eager to upgrade to a 4k TV and Xbox One X, but I only watch through Plex. It doesn't sound like an upgrade is even worth it at this point.

So if you did watch 4k content, do you have to transcode it all down to 1080p for it to look decent? It seems all 4k includes HDR so even if Plex will direct play 4k on Xbox One X is there actually any 4k content that is even watchable given the lack of HDR support?

I don't think transcoding down helps. I was making some 1080p optimized versions of the 4k file and it seems like the color is still washed out as their is no option to handle the down grade of the color space

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 552Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@elitemike said:
    I don't think transcoding down helps. I was making some 1080p optimized versions of the 4k file and it seems like the color is still washed out as their is no option to handle the down grade of the color space

Interesting. I just played back John Wick 4k on my non 4k equipment and the colors look REALLY soft, maybe even crushed. Maybe John Wick is a dark movie to begin with, but is that way you mean? Definitely didn't look vibrant. Not even 1080 like crispness.

Yep, that is exactly what I was trying to say. that is one of the movies I haven't watched yet due to this issue :neutral:

• mrtammrtam Posts: 2Members

+1 on this. HDR looks dreadful. Please confirm this is something at least being investigated?

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,669Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

This is something we're investigating for sure.