If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Ubuntu 16.04 LTS] Plex crashing often, randomly becomes indirect connection that never loads?

Tom@MS-S1Tom@MS-S1 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited February 12 in Linux

Hey! Thanks for checking my question out.

So basically my Plex Media Server keeps hanging pretty consistently every few hours. I've got logs from the crashes, and it usually seems to be something to do with Sync. Weirdly rather then the server just going offline, plex.tv reports an indirect connection - except it never loads.

If anyone can help or tell me what's going wrong, I'd be really grateful. The server runs on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Restarting the service also takes a minute to react. I rebuilt the database (very big database, over 65,000 items) recently on another machine and the server ran fine without crashes for like, 3 weeks on end. That leads me to believe the database isn't corrupt or anything, so I'm totally stumped as to why it's hanging/crashing so often :(

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 20,058Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

I see you're running 1.11.2. 1.11.2 is beta.

Do you have this same issue with 1.10.1 ?

Also, when you upload logs, would you please use Settings - Server - Help - Download Logs and submit that ZIP ?

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• Tom@MS-S1Tom@MS-S1 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ChuckPA said:
    I see you're running 1.11.2. 1.11.2 is beta.

Do you have this same issue with 1.10.1 ?

Also, when you upload logs, would you please use Settings - Server - Help - Download Logs and submit that ZIP ?

I had pretty consistent crashes since around December. It's why I rebuilt the database, just in case. So I guess the answer is probably yes, but I can't say for definite that it crashed in the same way. That indirect connection thing is seemingly pretty new, before the server would just drop off and say it was offline on plex.tv (albeit it was still hanging).

Here's my logs as requested, sorry about uploading in the wrong format. I've restarted the server since so the original log file I uploaded is now Plex Media Server.2.log instead.

Crashed again, caught it with debug logging on too.
    Crash is logged at the end of Plex Media Server.2.log

Crashed after ~20 hours of uptime since last crash.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 20,058Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Your database is locked.

Feb 11, 2018 23:04:51.408 [0x7ff3bb7ff700] ERROR - Failed to begin transaction (../Library/MetadataCollection.cpp:169) (tries=8): Cannot begin transaction. database is locked
    Feb 11, 2018 23:04:52.066 [0x7ff3bb7ff700] ERROR - Failed to begin transaction (../Library/MetadataCollection.cpp:169) (tries=9): Cannot begin transaction. database is locked
    Feb 11, 2018 23:04:52.382 [0x7ff3bb7ff700] ERROR - Failed to begin transaction (../Library/MetadataCollection.cpp:169) (tries=10): Cannot begin transaction. database is locked

And badly fragmented.

Feb 11, 2018 23:06:15.213 [0x7ff3d27ff700] WARN - Held transaction for too long (../Sync/SyncItemGenerator.cpp:142): 0.390000 seconds
    Feb 11, 2018 23:06:26.265 [0x7ff3dafff700] WARN - SLOW QUERY: It took 270.000000 ms to retrieve 50 items.

I can't see the reason for it but would like you to
    1. Manually Optimize Database (under the ellipsis in Libraries)
    2. If that fails to resolve it, I will need to get additional help.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

@ChuckPA said:
    Your database is locked.
    And badly fragmented.

I can't see the reason for it but would like you to
    1. Manually Optimize Database (under the ellipsis in Libraries)
    2. If that fails to resolve it, I will need to get additional help.

Done! I've actually already optimised the database manually quite a few times and still had these crashes, but I'm gonna follow your steps exactly because I'm at the point of abandoning Plex because it's that bad :( Really grateful for your support though! I'll get back to you with the logs of the next crash :)

edited February 14

It has once again crashed :( I don't think I caught it in the logs (only noticed an hour later, have a script to auto restart the server because it's happening so often and I'm that sick of it). I've included the logs, albeit like aforementioned I don't think the crash is caught in them.

I'm assuming it crashed like usual, this is after I've manually optimised the database. So, what do we do now @ChuckPA ? I don't want to give up on Plex :/

You're right, it didn't capture the crash.

Also, beta 1.11.2 has a rather 'chatty' log activity. it it probably the reason your crash isn't in the logs.
    We received the next update from Engineering and are testing it now. From what we are told, a lot of your errors and the chatty entry have been taken care of.

Until that time, I'd like to ask you to add LogNumFiles="10" to your Preferences.xml (PMS stopped of course). This increases retention from the default 5 to 10. (adds 20 MB on disk and about 4MB when ZIP'd for upload).

It will give you and us a bigger window to look at.

If you want to make it bigger, that's fine. I wouldn't go above 20. 10 usually works best, 15 in tough cases.

If you don't mind my asking, what versions of PMS do you have saved? 1.10.0 ? 1.9.7?

Useful links

edited February 14

@ChuckPA
    Until that time, I'd like to ask you to add
    LogNumFiles="10" to your Preferences.xml (PMS
    stopped of course).

I've increased the LogNumFile to 13 and added it to my Preferences.xml - hopefully this'll give me enough overhead to catch the crash in the logs with the auto restart script.

I actually had to develop a script that sends API requests to the server and gives it like 4 minutes to respond and if it doesn't, it'll send a restart request to the service. The service basically just hangs and doesn't notify the system that it's crashed, so this is the only way to catch the crash.

If you don't mind my asking, what versions of PMS do you have saved? 1.10.0 ? 1.9.7?

I've ran basically every build and beta build since like, September, but I currently only have access to
    plexmediaserver_1.11.0.4633-70f9c31ed_amd64
    plexmediaserver_1.11.0.4666-fc63598ba_amd64
    plexmediaserver_1.11.1.4760-58bcb2957_amd64

When I rebuilt the database (about halfway through January, maybe later) the server was running

plexmediaserver_1.11.0.4666-fc63598ba_amd64

Would updating to the absolute latest beta version solve any of the aforementioned crashes? Is that what the new build from the engineers is? Or is an internal only build you discussed

Are you using curl to query it with a timeout? We've found curl to be great in 'pinging' the local server. It's also the perfect tool to issue commands when the browser doesn't respond because we're performing a POST operation instead of a GET.

Useful links

@ChuckPA said:
    Are you using curl to query it with a timeout? We've found curl to be great in 'pinging' the local server. It's also the perfect tool to issue commands when the browser doesn't respond because we're performing a POST operation instead of a GET.

I am using curl :) though I am actually using it with a GET as opposed to a POST (Though I do see how a POST might be better!) to the PMS API endpoint entitled /status/sessions and determining the HTTP response code returned, if I get a response back (or no response) with any other status code then 200 I log to a file the time, send the restart service command, then time how long it took the Plex service to restart (because this ends up taking nearly a minute, seems bad).

I seemingly cannot post the script but if you're interested in it, I'll put it on github :)

Hopefully we can just solve the actual crash though so I can get rid of the need for a cron running every 5 minutes lol.

I'm using the Engineering update which is going through QA now. Looking good on a lot of fronts. I've been too busy to drive it hard (unfortunately) due to "those pesky forum users" LOL

Useful links

you can include it.

use 3 grave characters on a line before it and after it. It will look like:

#!/bin/sh

echo  Hello World.

Useful links

edited February 15
    #!/bin/bash

PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
    PIDFILE="PlexUpCheck.pid"
    LOGFILE="services.log"
    PLEX_TOKEN="" #Enter your X-Plex-Token here

if [ -f $PIDFILE ]
      then
         PID=$(cat $PIDFILE)
         ps -p $PID > /dev/null 2>&1
         if [ $? -eq 0 ]
             then
                 echo "Process already running"
                 exit 1
             else
                 ## Process not found assume not running
                 echo $$ > $PIDFILE
                 if [ $? -ne 0 ]
                     then
                         echo "Could not create PID file"
                         exit 1
                     fi
             fi
      else
          echo $$ > $PIDFILE
          if [ $? -ne 0 ]
              then
                  echo "Could not create PID file" 
                  exit 1
              fi
    fi

http_status=$(curl -LIX GET 127.0.0.1:32400/status/sessions -o /dev/null -w '%{http_code}\n' -s -H "X-Plex-Token:${PLEX_TOKEN}" --max-time 90)
    if ! [[ $http_status = 200 ]]; then
        printf "$(date "+%d.%m.%Y %T") [Plex] ERROR: \t Plex crash. Restarting. \n" | tee -a $LOGFILE
        service plexmediaserver restart
        printf "$(date "+%d.%m.%Y %T") [Plex] INFO: \t Plex restarted. \n" | tee -a $LOGFILE
        sleep 5s
        wget -qO "Logs/Plex Media Server Logs_$(date "+%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S").zip" https://127.0.0.1:32400/diagnostics/logs?X-Plex-Token="$PLEX_TOKEN" --no-check-certificate
    fi

rm $PIDFILE

Script to automatically reboot Plex Media Server on hang (run using cron every 5 minutes). Automatically downloads server logs and stores them in a folder named Logs, perfect for uploading to forums for tech support.

Still on the lookout for another crash to capture for you guys :)

Edit 2: Added server log collection to script.

Whilst I wait for a crash, for your entertainment, here's every crash I've had in the last month. Seems like they happen every day or two, then I'll get a good period of like, 6 days, then it goes back to crashing. It's pretty impressive it's this unstable. I personally thought that rebuilding the database would fix it. Did it in the nicest way possible, adding a small selection, optimise, add more, optimise over like 2 weeks - yet it's still crashing like normal.

Whilst obviously the log here provides no evidence of the problem, atleast it'll give you an idea of how extended it is. I waited a month of hoping it'd go away till I wrote the script in my above post (what generated the attached log). I hope the engineers can take a look or someone can, or that the new internally testing patch can fix it. Don't wanna abandon Plex. :(

thanks but that contains nothing actionable on my end.

Useful links

• WatchTowerPlexWatchTowerPlex Posts: 103Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 15

Script to automatically reboot Plex Media Server on hang (run using cron every 5 minutes). Automatically downloads server logs and stores them in a folder named Logs, perfect for uploading to forums for tech support.

Still on the lookout for another crash to capture for you guys :)

Edit 2: Added server log collection to script.

Nice script. I did the same thing with monit. I was helping debug a hang on my server and found that you have to do a kill -SEGV pid in order to create the dump file that plex can use to debug when the server hangs and does not crash and restart on its own. You also have to make sure the crash reporter is turned on in the settings of the server.

p.s I had the same frustration and it was a bug with the trancoder hanging. It was just fixed in 1.11.1.4760-58bcb2957

@WatchTowerPlex said:
    Nice script. I did the same thing with monit. I was helping debug a hang on my server and found that you have to do a kill -SEGV pid in order to create the dump file that plex can use to debug when the server hangs and does not crash and restart on its own. You also have to make sure the crash reporter is turned on in the settings of the server.

p.s I had the same frustration and it was a bug with the trancoder hanging. It was just fixed in 1.11.1.4760-58bcb2957

I've changed it to now use kill -SEGV PID, reading the PID from the PID file in the PMS application folder. Where will the data be dumped if this is running from a crontab calling the script?

Also sadly I'm still experiencing issues, but it sounds like the database is the issue, not the transcoder - as mine wasn't fixed by any recent updates. Hopefully it'll be sorted soon though!

It will be dumped in the crash folder. From my experience it will be empty if the server successfully uploads the crash after you restart it. You will see it upload the crash in the logs after you restart. You may want to copy it out before you start the service.

Crash folders:
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/201455336-crash-logs-plex-media-server/

• killinitkillinit Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Would like to +1 this thread, same issue to a tee. I'm traveling now but will upload my logs when I can. Thanks for the script, atleast it helps as a workaround.

I also didn't have this issue on kernel 4.4 but am on 4.13 and this is happening, not sure if that helps at all.

@killinit said:
    Would like to +1 this thread, same issue to a tee. I'm traveling now but will upload my logs when I can. Thanks for the script, atleast it helps as a workaround.

I also didn't have this issue on kernel 4.4 but am on 4.13 and this is happening, not sure if that helps at all.

Make sure you are doing kill -SEGV PID when it hangs...