Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

iOS Sync - wrong free space amount

chrisreed87chrisreed87 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

When i try to sync items via the IOS app, it says I only have 5.9 Gb available (even with unlimited option selected) but on my device I have over 20 gb...
anyone else seen this?

Best Answer

Answers

• jsdukeboy08jsdukeboy08 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I am having the same issue with this, only showing about half of my available free space on the phone. Hoping someone can provide some information about how I can get this fixed. I have reinstalled the app on my iPhone and the issue persists

• AnijakeAnijake Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 217 Plex Pass

just another issue in a long line of issues that have been unfixed for years. The code in this app is so messed up that the developers have no idea how to fix.

• nztravellernztraveller Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I'm also having a similar issue. There is another thread about it as well.
    Would be really nice to get this fixed as it stops the sync from being as useful as it could be.

• elykkyleelykkyle Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

Are you planning on implementing the new resource values made available in iOS11?
    From the same post you quoted, Apple appears to have a solution for this:

Specifically, check out the new resource values (NSURLVolumeAvailableCapacityForImportantUsageKey and NSURLVolumeAvailableCapacityForOpportunisticUsageKey) we added to NSURL in iOS 11. NSURLVolumeAvailableCapacityForOpportunisticUsageKey seems to be exactly what you need.

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 726 Plex Employee

Well it's not a solution, but a better approach. I made a quick test and those values gave me 0 available space in an iPad with 6GB free :joy: (6GB according to the iOS settings, 2GB according to the existing API).

However, I will give it another try tomorrow and spend more time on it to see if I did something wrong and/or look for alternatives.

I'll keep you posted :smile:

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 726 Plex Employee

Well, as promised I've spent more time with NSURLVolumeAvailableCapacityForOpportunisticUsageKey and it seems my quick test wasn't right at all, but today I got better results!

In my iPad:

• iOS settings: 5.1GB
    • Old method: 2GB
    • New method: 3.4GB

It's not 100% accurate, but I think it's the best we can get (according to that Apple dev). The fix has been submitted so now it needs to go through the whole review&test process and, if everything goes well, it'll be in the App Store in around 1 month.

I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

• bnuttingbnutting Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

Maybe open a ticket wth Apple developer support? I do app development for a living and then have been helpful in the past.

You mean a radar / bugreport? Because that eskimo who gave me an answer in the developer forum (https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/199283#298403) is an Apple engineer, not sure if we'll get anything better :sweat_smile:

Just reading the documentation more carefully, seems like eskimo's suggestion might not be the best either, I've got better results with the CapacityForImportantUsageKey:

• iOS settings: 4.5GB
    • Using NSFileSystemFreeSize: 1.9GB
    • Using NSURLVolumeAvailableCapacityForOpportunisticUsageKey: 3GB
    • Using NSURLVolumeAvailableCapacityForImportantUsageKey: 4.2GB

I'm gonna push a change with this "ImportantUsageKey" for you guys, but will also check with eskimo that we're doing the right thing :smile:

• BeagleboysBeagleboys Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Upping as I'm having the same issue. only worse:

system info 18,97GB
    Plex 1.8GB

This should be fixed (or at least vastly improved, as much as we can do) in the upcoming release.

• techblogger911techblogger911 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

You can contact Apple support directly
    1800-1651-0525
    https://support.apple.com