If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Constant Buffering on Xbox One

sad_musosad_muso Posts: 14Members ✭✭

Hi all,

I am getting constant buffering on Xbox One and am at a loss on how to fix it.

I’m running Plex Media Server on Windows 10 64 bit and the connection is USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter into home plug, then home plug other end into BT Home Hub 5. The Xbox is also hard wired to the hub.

I have no issues streaming to other devices.

What can I do to improve the situation?

Thanks

Comments

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 571Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sad_muso said:
    Hi all,

I am getting constant buffering on Xbox One and am at a loss on how to fix it.

I’m running Plex Media Server on Windows 10 64 bit and the connection is USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter into home plug, then home plug other end into BT Home Hub 5. The Xbox is also hard wired to the hub.

I have no issues streaming to other devices.

What can I do to improve the situation?

Thanks

The issue has been reported and devs are looking at it, but no ETA on a fix. Turning off direct play/stream seems to help a bit, but not always an ideal workaround.

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,626Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@sad_muso @mbarylski Could you post the media info xml for problematic media. The more data points we have the better.

@Moussa said:
    @sad_muso @mbarylski Could you post the media info xml for problematic media. The more data points we have the better.

Sure, but honestly it seems to be just about any file. Worse of course with higher quality files. And DVR'd files seem to be the worst of them all. Not sure why, but ts files have always seemed to be problematic. Although, I experienced buffering issues last night when I was playing back Spider Man 3, a high bit rate 1080p mkv. When it started buffering continuously, I skipped back a couple of times to get it out of the continuously buffering state and it ended up crashing my server. It happened around 9 PM on February 11th. Posted logs just in case that points to anything helpful. Errors should be at the very end of the log.

Posted some xml files too. I'll test out some lower quality 480p videos too and see if I have the buffering issues there too.

Question about the buffering. I imagine we should expect some buffering. My reference point though is a TiVo Mini which is also streaming from a "server" to an end unit. It's much faster, but there is buffering. TiVo doesn't show a buffering message though, so it's not as obvious. And, I can generally skip through a full commercial break with about 6-10 successive 30-second skips. On Plex I skip, pause and wait for it to catch up, skip, pause, etc. It doesn't buffer the first few skips, but by skip 3 or 4 it usually does buffer. What is the actual expected behavior though? I assume we should see some buffering occasionally, but how often?

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,626Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@mbarylski Thanks for the info. Could you send a sample file of the DVR recordings that you're experiencing buffering with my way? I mean the ideal scenario is that you wouldn't see any buffering, but endless buffering is definitely not good.

Sure, I'll send you a private message with a link to a OneDrive folder.

@mbarylski The update today has some changes to the player that should have some impact on buffering behaviour. Please let us know if you notice an improvement.

I'm not seeing any improvement. I'm on v2.4.1.7. It actually seems like it's much worse than it was before today's update. Before today's update I was able to skip a couple of times on some shows without buffering, but now every skip is buffering.

• ilovricilovric Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 21

2.4.1 seems to improve my sample video files sent to support team when using subtitles in seeking situations, but...
    My 4k content is playing worse than before with buffering, stalling or in some cases falling back to transcoding with downsmpled video to 1080p.
    Probably buffer size is decresed or buffer handling is bad in recent update or there is some serious keyframe tracking issues.

If required, will do any test and report.

Edit: I am using xbox one beta version of firmware
    Edit2: Today after my new tests, 4k content seems to work better. Noticed only 4k HDR being switched to transcoding after 5-15 sec. Only thing that changed was that xbox console was turned off since update last night.

• jpirottejpirotte Posts: 103Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Skipping commercials on recorded content is painful for me. Have to wait through about 3 seconds of buffering for every 30 second skip (direct playing)

@jpirotte said:
    Skipping commercials on recorded content is painful for me. Have to wait through about 3 seconds of buffering for every 30 second skip (direct playing)

Same experience for me. I'm using 1080i DVRd conent as a test and it's definitely worse than it was before the update.

• opothopoth Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just chiming in to say that initially, 2.4.1 didn't seem to improve the buffering situation, 1080p H265 content has always been its achilles heel since the major update (as I imagine 4K content would as well) - I reviewed my settings and noticed that I must have disabled direct play in the client some time ago due to earlier issues, re-enabling direct play seems to finally give solid performance on videos that previously had problems. Hopefully this helps some people that might be in the same boat.

@opoth said:
    Just chiming in to say that initially, 2.4.1 didn't seem to improve the buffering situation, 1080p H265 content has always been its achilles heel since the major update (as I imagine 4K content would as well) - I reviewed my settings and noticed that I must have disabled direct play in the client some time ago due to earlier issues, re-enabling direct play seems to finally give solid performance on videos that previously had problems. Hopefully this helps some people that might be in the same boat.

Dang, I just don't get it. I'm not seeing any improvement on the 1080 content I have. Granted, it's different...1080 DVR'd (I think H264), but this is starting to get on my nerves. It used to be tolerable if I switched to force transcode, but now both transcode and direct play are excruciatingly slow.

Out of curiosity, what's your network connection, Xbox version, and hard drive for PMS and cache? I've got wired Gigabit so I can't imagine that's the issue. Xbox is original, so that could be an issue. And PMS and buffer/cache are on four, 10 TB, 7200 RPM drives in a Win10 Managed Storage Space. I'm starting to think I need to add a stand alone SSD just to handle the PMS and buffer/cache.

• jpirottejpirotte Posts: 103Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jpirotte said:

3 seconds was optimistic, came home to test again and it's typically 5-8 seconds of re-buffering after skipping forward while Direct Playing.

• opothopoth Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mbarylski said:

@opoth said:

Dang, I just don't get it. I'm not seeing any improvement on the 1080 content I have. Granted, it's different...1080 DVR'd (I think H264), but this is starting to get on my nerves. It used to be tolerable if I switched to force transcode, but now both transcode and direct play are excruciatingly slow.

Out of curiosity, what's your network connection, Xbox version, and hard drive for PMS and cache? I've got wired Gigabit so I can't imagine that's the issue. Xbox is original, so that could be an issue. And PMS and buffer/cache are on four, 10 TB, 7200 RPM drives in a Win10 Managed Storage Space. I'm starting to think I need to add a stand alone SSD just to handle the PMS and buffer/cache.

I think we're talking about slightly different setups but let's see if I can help - I have an original XB1, my server (running latest public PMS version) and NAS are both wired, but the XB1 is not - I think having a wired client is an unrealistic expectation in all cases, maybe that's just me though!

I do use Plex DVR, but rely on MCEBuddy/comskip to pass everything into an MKV container and significantly cut down on the file size in the process. I had lots of problems with the recordings as raw TS files in the XB1 client which is why I went that route, comskip aside.

1080p H265 encodes (unrelated to the DVR) have been problematic since the launch of the new XB1 app, but it's hard to say how long ago enabling direct play would have helped my situation, since I'm sure it's been that way since almost the beginning. I always favor direct play whenever possible, so I must have had it disabled for some reason going back to almost the beginning.

@opoth Yea, it definitely looks like we have different setups. I can't understand what the issue is, but it must be about the types of file and not the setup. I just ran through a bunch of different files and there's only one that I can use without frequent buffering and that's a 720p, h264, aac, mp4. And interestingly, if I force transcode I get buffering on every skip. I used to be better off when transcoding, but now even that doesn't work.

@Moussa Have the devs had any luck tracking down the buffering issue? I can't get anything to play without buffering except for mp4 using direct play. Everything else buffers frequently, and placeshifting live TV is next to impossible with how long it buffers. I used to at least be able to force transcoding for a tolerable experience, but that doesn't work now either. Appreciate the devs investigating the issue.

• dillpa@msn.comdillpa@msn.com Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 12

Hello, any updates on this? I'm seeing the same issue on my Xbox one over local GB network (even when transcoding down to 720p), this doesn't occur in Chromecast.

Any MP4 movie in 1080p can play without any buffering at 23.5+ Mbps
    Any DVR HD show in 1080p cannot play without optimization (Original Quality), once optimized the show will play with minimal buffering.

In a perfect world, I would have an option to automatically optimize the DVR and remove the original; even better if the DVR could optimize on the fly while watching slightly behind the live feed and then remove the original file.

Otherwise, I'm new and enjoying Plex, I just wish I could automate some of these manual steps.

Any feedback appreciated.

• nzern921nzern921 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I’m having the same issue with constant buffering.

• justmiikejustmiike Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yep, likewise. Some days, watching is fine. Other days with similar file specs, constantly buffering.

It's getting annoying now.

• v8marov8maro Posts: 12Members ✭✭

Any 4k content that says direct stream (on atmos or 5.1) are always constantly buffering for me too. Annoying as all hell. Embarrassing when you have friends over as well. I heard the roku can stream the same content without issues - any truth to this?

• struchotstruchot Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The only other thing i can add to this is that I too have buffering issues. If i play an 8gb 1080p file, it's more likely than a 2gb 1080p file. I am running a high powered plex server over gigE, so it's not the host. Additionally, the exact same file plays flawlessly on my firetv through the plex app using wifi and the same server as host.