If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sorry I am having trouble accessing your Plex skill right now

fdbryant3fdbryant3 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I just set up a pair of music libraries tonight. When I say "Alexa ask Plex to play Music" or "Alexa ask Plex to play " or "Alexa ask Plex to play " all I get for a response is "Sorry I am having trouble accessing your Plex skill right now". I can use Alexa to control playback through Plex or see what is on-deck or start a video. I've set up (although perhaps unnecessarily) port forwarding in my router and can reach my Plex server from outside my network and stream music outside my network.

I really want to be able to play music from my Echo Dot any help would be appreciated.

• vanstinatorvanstinator Plex Voice Control Posts: 771Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Ha. I just replied to your reddit post and then saw you posted here as well. Just to be clear remote access is required because Alexa skills run in the cloud so our code isn't local to your PMS.

The error "Sorry I am having trouble accessing your Plex skill right now" usually indicates a problem with Amazon accessing our cloud server where the skill lives. It's strange to me that you can use the remote functions but not music playback. An echo playback failure usually manifests in silence. I'll poke around and see if anything obvious jumps out on our end. If not I'll have to run this by a contact at Amazon.

Projects I currently develop or maintain

Classic Forum for Plex - A forum skin that aims to replicate the classic forum experience as best as possible without taking away some of the better things about the new forum.

PlexWink - A Plex Channel that monitors Plex and controls your smart lights based on playback.

UASViewer - A Plex Channel for the Unsupported App Store that lets you browse channels right from Plex.

• fdbryant3fdbryant3 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Thanks, I appreciate you looking into this and hope to have it working soon. Let me know if there is any information I can provide.

• KrazeespicKrazeespic Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm experiencing the exact same issue as well. I recently purchased a 2nd Gen Echo and have been trying to trouble shoot the issue still unable to play music. I've been using plex for over 3 years with no issues on multiple devices. Alexa works great when I tell it to start a movie, pause, resume or suggest a movie but when i ask it to tell plex to play any music I get "Sorry I am having trouble accessing your Plex skill right now". I've re-installed plex as well re-enabled the plex skill, also rolled back to a version I read that works for others which was Ver., still didn't work. Even though I can watch plex outside my network perfectly without having to manually do port forwarding I created a port forwarding rule anyway on my router using port 32400 and enabled NAT Loop-back but didn't resolve anything. Plex still works fine after re configuring my router, so not sure what else I can do to get music playback. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since its the only way I can stream my personal music library across multiple rooms in my house using voice control through my Echo and Sonos.

• fdbryant3fdbryant3 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I don't suppose there is any update on this issue?