If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playback error at video end

SpiGAndromedaSpiGAndromeda Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am getting playback errors at the web client when playing certain tv shows at maximum quality. The video itself plays normally till the last 30 seconds. Then the error message occurs, but the video continues to the end in the background. The error message is just an overlay.

The error does only occur at certain episodes and only if quality is set to Convert(Maximum). It doesn't occur on android or the Windows App (propably because the don't have the convert(Maximum) option).

The problem occurs as shown on the picture:

It says: "An error occured trying to play ..." shaka1001 (Network)

The Transcoder default throttle buffer is 120 seconds.
Source material:

Codec H264
Bitrate 4521 kbps
Language English
Bit Depth 8
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Frame Rate 25 fps
Height 720
Level 3.1
Profile high
Ref Frames 4
Scan Type progressive
Width 1280

Codec AC3
Channels 5.1
Bitrate 384 kbps
Language Deutsch
Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz

Codec AC3
Channels 5.1
Bitrate 448 kbps
Language English
Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz

Codec VOBSUB
Bitrate 5 kbps
Language English

Codec VOBSUB
Bitrate 4 kbps
Language Deutsch

Codec VOBSUB
Language Deutsch

The log file of the server is attached. It's generated directyl after plexmediaserver service restart.
As seen in the logs I updated plex to 1.11.3 this morning. Error persists.

Best Answer

Answers

• SpiGAndromedaSpiGAndromeda Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also tried the 1.11.1 and 1.11.2 versions of the plex mediaserver- Same problem. So it seems not to be version related.
    The problem only appears when connecting to plex via plex.tv. When using my own domain all is working fine. But I think this is because there is no "Convert (Maximum)" Option.

I will report this error to plex.

• SpiGAndromedaSpiGAndromeda Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sa2000 said:
    Plex Web 3.37.2 has just been released and is now available for the hosted app (https://app.plex.tv/desktop) - this version has a fix for the shaka 1001 errors near end of file

See Release Notice http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1616989/#Comment_1616989

• Fixed cases where playback would error or fallback to a transcode near the end of a video

Thank you very much. This indeed solved the problem.
    As a software engineer I would be really interested what caused this bug.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 31,253Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@SpiGAndromeda said:

@sa2000 said:
    Plex Web 3.37.2 has just been released and is now available for the hosted app (https://app.plex.tv/desktop) - this version has a fix for the shaka 1001 errors near end of file

See Release Notice http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1616989/#Comment_1616989

• Fixed cases where playback would error or fallback to a transcode near the end of a video

Thank you very much. This indeed solved the problem.
    As a software engineer I would be really interested what caused this bug.

To do with number of segments for dash protocol that may not be exactly x seconds duration leading to web app expecting one more chunk than is available

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to

• msavage1987msavage1987 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am getting same error message at end of video but on the Xbox app. Server and Xbox app are up to date. Please advise.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 31,253Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@msavage1987 said:
    I am getting same error message at end of video but on the Xbox app. Server and Xbox app are up to date. Please advise.

Will try and find out.

What is the version of the XBOX One app
    and is the error happening on pausing / playing near end of file?
    How close to end of file?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

@msavage1987 said:

I have confirmation now that the fix that went into Plex Web App version 3.37.2 for this will also get incorporated in the Plex for Xbox One and Plex for Smart TV Apps - so watch out for the release notices here http://forums.plex.tv/categories/release-announcements

@msavage1987 said:

There was an update released today with a fix for this on Xbox One

See the release note https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1619976/#Comment_1619976

• msavage1987msavage1987 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks much appreciated