Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

2 issues on Xbox One (just started yesterday)

vashachirokuvashachiroku Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Console Info - 10.0.17098.1000

1.) When launching Plex it’s not center on the TV. If I got back to home, then into Plex it’s aligned correctly.

2.) when playing a movie or tv show the center normally has a quick box to say the media name, sometimes this flips to buffering. Once the movie or TV show starts it’s stuck in the center and doesn’t go away. Tried a few things but can’t find away around this big.

Tagged:

Comments

• mlafleurmlafleur Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm seeing the same issues. Everything I attempt to watch has either the show title or "Buffering" stuck in the center of the screen. I've not found a workaround.

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,634Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hi there.

1) Mind taking a screenshot?

2) Please grab some server logs with logging enabled in the app too

• negatednegated Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@vashachiroku said:

1.) When launching Plex it’s not center on the TV. If I got back to home, then into Plex it’s aligned correctly.

2.) when playing a movie or tv show the center normally has a quick box to say the media name, sometimes this flips to buffering. Once the movie or TV show starts it’s stuck in the center and doesn’t go away. Tried a few things but can’t find away around this big.

Yup. I started seeing this also. The title of the media just sits on top of the video, blocking the center. Just on my XBox One client.

Workaround: Go to settings and change the Quality to anything else, continue playing (the media title will be gone at this point), then go back to your original Quality. You'll have to do this every time you start playing new videos.

• WilhelmStrokerWilhelmStroker Posts: 1,686Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Seeing 2) too and someone on the Plex reddit is seeing the same. I'm on insider builds so it could be related to that, unless people are seeing this with normal builds too.

• edgewooddirk86edgewooddirk86 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@negated said:

@vashachiroku said:

Yup. I started seeing this also. The title of the media just sits on top of the video, blocking the center. Just on my XBox One client.

Workaround: Go to settings and change the Quality to anything else, continue playing (the media title will be gone at this point), then go back to your original Quality. You'll have to do this every time you start playing new videos.

Tried this, no luck for me. Constant "Buffering" message with no spinning circle.

@edgewooddirk86 said:

@negated said:

@vashachiroku said:

Tried this, no luck for me. Constant "Buffering" message with no spinning circle.

Yeah I noticed this morning that what you are describing is happening specifically for tv show episodes that aren't using DirectPlay. It just seems to work with movies that use DirectPlay.

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,634Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Can one of you go to the app settings and tell me which version of the app you're running?

@Moussa said:
    Can one of you go to the app settings and tell me which version of the app you're running?

• WilhelmStrokerWilhelmStroker Posts: 1,686Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@edgewooddirk86 said:

@Moussa said:

Same version here

• eavanvalkenburgeavanvalkenburg Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here with that version, super annoying, the workaround indeed is to pause, change quality setting to something else, change back, back to video, resume. This works for me most of the time!

We’re looking into this now.

The weirdest part about this whole issue is that the app hadn't just gotten an update when this started occurring so that means the bug is:

1. Coming from some silent update of the XBox OS.
    2. Coming from the server (in my case, Plex Pass updates to my WD PR4100).
    3. Do you guys have an experiment system in place to toggle experiments on the clients?
  • mlafleurmlafleur Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@WilhelmStroker said:
    Seeing 2) too and someone on the Plex reddit is seeing the same. I'm on insider builds so it could be related to that, unless people are seeing this with normal builds too.

I am also on an early XBox release (one ring ahead of the Insiders build) so it is certainly possible this is related. I will try to find some time to reset one of mine and check but it will me a day or so before I can get the time. It would be helpful to know if anyone is seeing this on a GA build.

• raddy2raddy2 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am also on early xbox rings and experiencing #2. Seems like this would be causing a much larger uproar if this was on GA.. so my assumption this is on insider builds.

• legitagelegitage Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1. On XB1 beta ring. A transparent name of the show/movie or "buffering" is stuck in the middle of everything played on Plex.

• johnrea@gmail.comjohnrea@gmail.com Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here. On XB1 beta ring and get the name or "buffering" stuck right in the middle of the screen.

• johnrea@gmail.comjohnrea@gmail.com Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

FYI 2.4.1 does not fix the issue.

@johnrea@gmail.com Can you tell me the OS version your console is on?

• Snail02Snail02 Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Running App version 2.4.1
    Plex Media Server Version 1.11.3.4803
    Console is in insider program, alpha channel
    OS version 10.0.16299.5101
    (rs3_release_xbox_dev_1802.180131-1450)

I can't reproduce this problem on any of my files. Tried direct play and transcoding files. All worked as intended

So, unenrolled my console from Insider previews, allowed it to do a full factory reset and update, and now the stuck "buffering" message issue is fixed for me. Yay for betas.