If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

NAS Recommendation

emirerdogduemirerdogdu Posts: 7Members ✭✭

I am looking forward to using "Qnap TS-453BT3-8G" as a plex server and some more things. Can any of you recommend this model and how does it perform as a plex media server? Thanks.

Answers

• monoxddmonoxdd Posts: 114Members ✭✭
    edited February 14

I have the ts-451+ model (2gb ram) with PMS, and works fine with my Smart TV LG UJ6560.
    I stream 1080p and 4k MKV , x264 - x265 using XPLAY. and zero lag.
    So i think TS-453BT3-8G model will work fine for you.

• DigitalicecreamDigitalicecream Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If you want a NAS recommendation, I will tell you to go Synology + line over QNAP. QNAP is more powerful but is frustrating as all get-out.

• Princeps universiPrinceps universi Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I made a switch from a synology (1512+) to a qnap (tvs-1282) and it is the best thing that i have had/seen, so much potential and power, a few users online (transcoding and direct streams) and processor only uses a few %.
    That sad, go with a system with a real Intel CPU (i3/i5 or even i7/i9) with an integrated graphics card for hardware transcoding !

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 20,111Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@Digitalicecream said:
    If you want a NAS recommendation, I will tell you to go Synology + line over QNAP. QNAP is more powerful but is frustrating as all get-out.

Were you using QNAP before version 4.3? If so, I can understand your frustration. It wasn't the best (by far).
    I would invite you to try a second look at their live demo now for 4.3.4

I went QNAP for the hardware and because the UI in 4.3 had (my words) "profoundly grown up".

I now own the TVS-1282-i7-32GB. My 'big & mighty" Synology DS1815+ sit there as my 'offline backup'.

I use if for development and testing of Synology updates as needed.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.