If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plexamp on Mac doesn't play

SystemSystem Posts: 288 Plex Employee
This discussion was created from comments split from: Plex Mix - not available for all music albums?.

Comments

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 28,225Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@PGalati said:
    I just wish the audio leveling worked better, too disparate.

Try http://plexamp.com/

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • PGalatiPGalati Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 14

For whatever reason plexamp on the Mac does everything but actually play the song. When I click on the song to play, the window goes blank except for the search field at the bottom. Additionally, I predominantly play music from iOS docked JBLs. When I used iTunes, I used an app called iVolume which more accurately analyzed and modified Apple's Sound Check value which was respected by iTunes on computer and mobile. Wouldn't it make sense for Plex to read that file embedded value and adjust the volume accordingly?

Sorry, this really needs to be moved out of this thread.

@PGalati said:
    For whatever reason plexamp on the Mac does everything but actually play the song. When I click on the song to play, the window goes blank except for the search field at the bottom.

Sorry, I can't tell you about that as I don't use a Mac.

When I used iTunes, I used an app called iVolume which more accurately analyzed and modified Apple's Sound Check value which was respected by iTunes on computer and mobile. Wouldn't it make sense for Plex to read that file embedded value and adjust the volume accordingly?

Ples already does an own loudness analysis on the server, using a superior algorithm.

@PGalati said:
    For whatever reason plexamp on the Mac does everything but actually play the song. When I click on the song to play, the window goes blank except for the search field at the bottom.

If you could look up the application logfile, it'd help diagnosing the problem
    I am told it is in here on a Mac: ~/Library/Logs/Plexamp/

@OttoKerner said:

Ples already does an own loudness analysis on the server, using a superior algorithm.

Well, since switching from iTunes to Plex for music, I find myself riding the volume buttons on the speaker a lot more often than before. Unfortunately Plex shows no indication as to whether a file has been analyzed or not. And if you claim it is done when the song is played, that is not superior regardless of the leveling aspect. Don't wait for the user to play the song to have it analyzed. Work during idle time and look ahead if playlist tracks need attention, then return to the library as demand permits.

@PGalati said:
    Well, since switching from iTunes to Plex for music, I find myself riding the volume buttons on the speaker a lot more often than before. Unfortunately Plex shows no indication as to whether a file has been analyzed or not.

Plexamp is the first (and curently only) Plex client where this loudness analysis is actually used. In fact, it was developed for it initially. That's why I mentioned it when you said you wished that Plex had it.

You can see if a track has been analysed by looking at its Plex media info.
    If there is a Gain value, the analysis has been done already.

And if you claim it is done when the song is played, that is not superior regardless of the leveling aspect. Don't wait for the user to play the song to have it analyzed. Work during idle time and look ahead if playlist tracks need attention, then return to the library as demand permits.

That's not how it works. The analysis is done as soon as the music is added to the server. If there are albums left without analysis, it gets done over time during server maintenance.

Thanks for the info, that is good to know but at the same time is useless since only 1 of 10 or more Plex clients honor those values. Hopefully the mobile clients will be updated to take advantage of the volume adjustment value.