If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

video transcoded when 2nd audio stream selected

eckartheckarth Posts: 500Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited February 14 in Plex Web App

I have this one movie - xml attached - which contains 3 audio streams. It all works fine as long as I select the 1st audio stream for play back. If I select the 2nd or 3rd one, plex suddenly decides to transcode the video (h.264 -< h.264) and audio (aac -> aac) streams.

I could understand if there is a need to remux the streams. But I can not imagine a necessity to transcode any of the streams.

I see this only happening in Plex web. Streaming the same movie to my iPad does not show this strange behaviour. It runs fine with all 3 audio stream without any transcoding.

I also have other movies containing more than one audio stream and have never seen this oddity. What is going on here?

I checked plex web app with safari and firefox on a Mac. Same bahaviour.

Plex web app 3.37.1; Server 1.10.1.4602.

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 30,275Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    1. activate debug logging (not 'verbose'!)
    2. quit Plex Server
    3. wait 1 minute
    4. start Plex Server
    5. wait 2 minutes
    6. Play the movie
    7. wait 3 minutes
    8. fetch log files and attach them here

Or look at the Plex Media Server.log file yourself.
    Filter for lines starting with MDE:
    Those explain the transcoding decision.

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • eckartheckarth Posts: 500Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@OttoKerner

I intended to capture the logs files for you over the weekend. However, the problem is gone. I can only speculate that the update to plex web app 3.37.2 solved it.