Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Need help setting VideoPlayer merits rules so DSPlayer is used for 4K HDR only

ElJimador40ElJimador40 Posts: 151Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey folks. I know this is really a Kodi/DSPlayer question but I'll ask here anyway in case anyone else has this working in their setup. I've recently switched from PMP to Plex for Kodi because I want to because I want to be able to watch my UHDs ripped to HEVC MKV with HDR passthrough, however I don't really have any any interest in using DSPlayer+madVR beyond that. So I'm trying to set up VideoPlayer merits rules so that DSPlayer is only engaged for those 4K MKVs while the default Kodi player is used for everything else. I've used the playercorefactory.xml to launch external players in the past so I'm not totally new to the concept behind this since it appears this is just another way to the same thing through the GUI, however I'm not understanding the basic logic here. Does "VideoPlayer" refer to DSPlayer or to DVDPlayer (that's still the name of the default Kodi player, right?) -- ie. am I creating a rule for everything DSPlayer will play by default, or am I creating rules for the exceptions that DVDPlayer will open instead? So far I've tried it both ways and DSPlayer still opens everything no matter what I enter.

Treating VideoPlayer to mean DSPlayer (ie. affirmative rule):
rule name: 4K HEVC | file name: .4k | video codec: h265 | video button: on

Treating VideoPlayer to mean DVDPlayer (ie. exceptions rules):
rule name: H264 | video codec: h264 | video button: on
rule name: VC-1 | video codec: vc-1 | video button: on
rule name: MPEG2 | video codec: mpeg 2 | video button: on

As I said, either way I try it's still opening DSPlayer for everything. So which is the right approach and what am I missing?

Answers

• ElJimador40ElJimador40 Posts: 151Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Or is there not a way to do what I'm attempting with the Plex for Kodi add-on?

Wait, could it be because I only installed the DSPlayer version of Kodi? Did I need to install regular Kodi first then the DSPlayer version on top? Just thinking out loud here. I'll shut up now though and wait to hear if anyone has any advise. Thanks!

Well I got the merit rules to work in DSPlayer but not through the Plex for Kodi add-on. I set the rules by tags in file names (ie. .dvd., etc) for all my non-4K content and DSPlayer reads them correctly so that 4K plays through DSPlayer and everything else through VideoPlayer. Through Plex for Kodi though, the rules are ignored so that everything still plays with DSPlayer -- OR -- if I change the file name rules to .dvd etc (incorrect but my first attempt) then everything opens through VideoPlayer only. No matter what I try though, it's all one or the other.

So is using both players as the default for different file types simply not supported through Plex for Kodi or is there some other tweak like an extra playercorefactory.xml that has to be created separately in the Plex for Kodi add-on folder to extend these rules to the add-on too?

• CraftyClownCraftyClown Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey there, I'm setting up similar stuff to you right now and I was just wondering why you don't use PKC Plex Kodi Connect? If I'm understanding what you are saying, this should solve your problem.

@CraftyClown said:
    Hey there, I'm setting up similar stuff to you right now and I was just wondering why you don't use PKC Plex Kodi Connect? If I'm understanding what you are saying, this should solve your problem.

I tried it but I'm just having too many problems with it so far. Can't access my movie extras anywhere, music library is all messed up no matter how I set the source paths, different libraries all jumbled together (videos thrown into movies, etc). I got advice on another forum that you can use a different skin like titan to better edit the library nodes and clean up some of that but all things considered I'd rather just go with Plex for Kodi w/DSPlayer+madVR as the player for everything. Coming from PMP it's just a much easier transition.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Have you been using plexkodiconnect long enough to get comfortable with it yourself? If you have and know of any solutions to the issues I mentioned with it let me know and I might take another look.

• cronetercroneter Posts: 1,258Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@croneter said:

Thank you! The lack of movie extras alone might be a deal killer for me, but I'll check out the advice in the link and see if I want to revisit plexkodiconnect after all. The UI with Plex for Kodi maybe a lot easier but I really do hate having to use madVR+DSPlayer for everything when I'm already getting playback issues at the lowest settings and I didn't have any problem w/how my TV was doing the upscaling to 4K before.

Nevermind. I wasn't getting anywhere with this so I finally caved and just bought a new video card (1050 ti) to get into madVR after all. I'm still tuning but I have the settings dialed in pretty close to where I'll want them I think and everything is working fine now with Plex for Kodi as the player.