Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Video randomly skips ahead 5-10 seconds when watching on mobile

rjpark720rjpark720 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

Hello,

I did not have this issue in the past, so I think it might be due to the new updates. When streaming the video from my phone (galaxy s8+) I have been noticing my video skips ahead 5-10 seconds randomly throughout the steam. Its really frustrating as I keep missing content and need to rewind to find out what happened. I've looked through the forums but have not had any luck with a definitive answer.

please help. :)

Comments

• DroidzombieDroidzombie Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I'm having this very same issue as well as a friend on mine. It renders the app useless since there video does not play properly.

• chrisl126@hotmail.comchrisl126@hotmail.com Members Posts: 3

I am having the same issue. Random 10-30 second skips forward. Its kind of driving me crazy. (Galaxy S7)

• rjpark720rjpark720 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

It's more frustrating since no one wants to help fix this issue. I've seen posts about this from 2015 without any solution. It's crazy that it was working fine for multiple years, but all of a sudden this bug occurs. Someone needs to help fix ASAP.

• marekszulikmarekszulik Validating, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Employee

Are you able to provide some logs from the app? Is there a particular file that skips or is it applicable to all your files?

Could you post logs here from the app when it's happening? How to capture logs from device: https://support.plex.tv/articles/201573117-android-android-tv-fire-tv-logs/

• chrisl126@hotmail.comchrisl126@hotmail.com Members Posts: 3

It is happening with all files. I also have 2 servers, same files, 200 miles apart on 2 different ISPs and it is happening with both servers. Using Galaxy S7 on Verison 4g.

• marekszulikmarekszulik Validating, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Employee

Thanks for the logs, we'll try to analyze them and get back to you.

• guardianfxguardianfx Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

I am having the same issue, I will try to post logs when I get a chance. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the application. It is happening on all videos. Google Pixel.

• fooperfooper Members, Plex Pass Posts: 60 Plex Pass

Having the same problem on my android tablet, Ipad works just fine.

Do you have all logs you need or can I contribute in any way?

• grouch29grouch29 Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

Same issue here. Will try to capture logs when I have time.

attached are my logs from yesterday night. it skipped multiple times. I was using 4G with a strong and stable signal. thanks for the help!

• NuTechNuTech Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Nearly 3 weeks after original post and still no fix. At first I thought I had a bad video but it happens with all videos, even my home vids. Going to see about downloading an older version until this is addressed.

• NuTechNuTech Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass
    edited March 6

Version 5.10.3.441 running stable, no skipping. Maybe the Devs can offer an old version download section on their site for people that don't deal with torrents

Thanks for the tip going to try it out tomorrow

• fooperfooper Members, Plex Pass Posts: 60 Plex Pass

Kodi with plex addon seems to work without problem.

Going back to the older version worked for me, just make sure you turn on off auto update app.

• FormulaFoxFormulaFox Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

Same problem here as well. Since I see that older versions of the Android app are working for some of you, where can I acquire an older version?

The weird thing about this trouble, for me at least, is that it didn't start when the last update was first installed. It worked fine until two nights ago.

I've noticed while messing with settings to see what might alleviate the problem that the system absolutely refuses to stick to the quality setting I assign. Every jump forward is accompanied by a change in the quality setting, even when I have auto adjust turned off.

Interestingly, it's not a lack of bandwidth as the majority of cases I've seen have the quality go UP, not down - when I notice the quality do a drop, it doesn't jump ahead most of the time.

I can confirm that third-party video players do not suffer the skipping issue at all - at least not for me. But then we have to deal with the other issues of using those players.

To get the older version just good the version type and download the APK to your phone. Make sure it's compatible with your hardware

• juxtorjuxtor Members Posts: 1

I downloaded an APK of an older version, but it appears to be locked. When I download from the Play Store, there is an option to reactivate, but the older version wants me to pay again to activate. Anyone else run into this or have a workaround.

I also see third party video players don't seem to be having the issue. Can anyone suggest the third party video player works best.