If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sharing libraries

bhootzbhootz Posts: 19Members ✭✭

So my family and I are planning to setup servers for dumping photos and videos of all mobiles/cameras from vacations and functions to make it visible to all the members willing to see. I love watching them on my tv rather than on a web based display. In my home I’ve a FreeNAS box running and I’m using rasplex connected to my tv which is able to fulfil my needs. My libraries are shared with my family memebers. So my question is in 3 parts
1. Suppose I share a folder with my family members X and Y can they also watch the same content remotely with their sign in through Rasplex?
2. Now for eg X also makes a plex server and gives access to Y and me will I also be able to see X’s content without any changes?
3. Suppose X and I share the same pics from our (different) servers and the name of the folder is also same (eg “Spain”) what will Y see on his Rasplex? Will I see duplicate files?

Best Answer

• NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 1,414Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

USERS are tied to libraries.
    LIBRARIES are tied to folders.
    FOLDERS are tied to your filesystem and how you organized it.

• bhootzbhootz Posts: 19Members ✭✭

Thanks for the quick replies. This is awesome news. I guess then I can just distribute Rasplex to every one and get done with it.
    Just 1 last doubt. Say X and I both create a library called Spain. How will Y or I know the difference between the 2 Spain libraries?

• eckartheckarth Posts: 478Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 19

It will be indicated on the screen by the user interface which server the library originates from. How depends on the skin you are going to use and in some cases on some settings.

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 352Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Each server will have its own name even if the library has the same name and they are both of the same Plex Pass family group. So if you use Rasplex the name of the server will be shown bellow the library name. If you use most other plex clients, you first need to choose the server to watch.

If the user that is sharing is outside of the plex pass family, I think it will appear under a shared folder if I remember correctly