Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Processor requirement

bhootzbhootz Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

Hello, let me start off by saying FreeNAS and Rasplex (rpi3) are match made in heaven. Apart from (maybe) 5 seconds of green screen during dark parts of a movie/show encoded in x265 (compressed) I have not found even one problem and I have to thank the plex team for that. When people tell me they have issues with 1080p x265 I really couldn’t understand why I was blessed with none and then I realised it’s probably my CPU. A Xeon 2609v3. My system was put together in March of 2015 and I’m still in love with it.
I have a few scripts running and I notice 1 core in particular touching about 65C while others (5 cores) are 60 with two (direct/remote) streams running simultaneously and the cpu fan screaming. Once the streaming stops the fan/cpu temps normalise. Even at idle the same core is hotter than the rest.
With 4K tvs now becoming affordable I’m planning a systematic upgrade and will re rip my Blu-ray collection. The player isn’t finalised yet but I prefer the small form factor sbc tucked behind the tv. I prefer my FreeNAS box transcoding the file and the transcoding setting is in “auto” does me well for now. For the 4K stream (possibly 2 or more and a mix of remote/local) will I need to upgrade my cpu? If yes, how should I go looking for one? I wouldn’t want to spend thousands just for bleeding edge, just want something sufficiently future proof and capable.
Also would need suggestions for sbc while running 1080p/4K h264 and x265 video files. I generally rip them to mkv/mp4 using different softwares and I will probably have a mixed bag of formats and containers in the future as well.
Thanks a lot in advance.