If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why Can I No Longer Cast From Server to Player?

AYColumbiaAYColumbia Posts: 29Members ✭✭

I have my Plex player on my Roku 4 loaded. From the server, if I pull down the player/cast-to it shows "Roku Ultra" and when I select it the Roku goes to the home page and exits the Plex player and playback attempt fails. I used to be able to cast to any of the Plex players loaded on my devices but now I no longer can do that. When Plex was loaded on the Roku I think the option for casting to it used to be called "Plex for Roku" or something similar and not just "Roku Ultra."

I just updated this morning to server version and the same issue persists.

I also checked the Roku Plex player settings to make sure a setting to "advertise as player" didn't accidentally get turned off by an upgrade or something like that but couldn't find any setting that may be causing this issue.

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,512Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

we are not seeing any issues. is is possible to get Roku logs. you mentioned it screen changing to homepage. so would like to see what request your roku is getting

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/articles/201869908-log-files/
  • JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,473Members ✭✭✭✭✭

For what it's worth...
    I'm currently casting music from Plexweb to my Roku 3 - both server and client(s) signed in.

• AYColumbiaAYColumbia Posts: 29Members ✭✭

Hey all,
    I have a bit more info on this issue. So I tried to duplicate it today but couldn't. So I tried to recall what the situation was where this was happening and I found it. If you guys want to see if you can duplicate it, here are the steps:

Method one:

• start playback on the Plex app on the Roku
    • pause playback
    • on the server, connect to the Roku and try to cast something
    • the Roku should go to the home page view

Method two:

• load Plex app (don't play anything) on Roku
    • connect from server to Roku and cast something (should start playback fine)
    • while media is playing, select another media and cast it
    • after you answer the prompt where you choose to replace what's currently being played, the Roku should wind up on the home page view again.

Note that this only happens on the Roku Plex app. I did try to duplicate it on my Vizio and it worked fine. Vizio info:
    Plex for Vizio version 3.13.10
    Vizio firmware: v1.5.6-UHD

I couldn't find an About in the Plex app but the Settings had 5.1.1 so I think that's the version. My Roku device is the Roku Ultra 4640X.