Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Unable to cast to Chromecast from Android app or browser.

Dziban303Dziban303 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited February 22 in Google Chromecast

Some time in the recent past I lost the ability to cast media from my Plex server to my Chromecasts. In both the Android app (on two different phones) and through a web browser, I can connect to the Chromecast, but when trying to play media, it spins for a bit and then says "Unable to cast. The media is currently unavailable." I have two Chromecasts, neither work.

I've tried reinstalling the Android apps, as well as reinstalling the server software.

I am able to cast to a Fire stick, using both the Fire UI and through the Android app.

Any help appreciated.

Server is running on W10, Version 1.11.3.4803. Android app is v6.13.7.3458.

Tagged:

Answers

• paprestonpapreston Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is it just audio for you? I cant stream flac files but mp3 seem to be working. For video i was having problems and i switched all my chromcasts (8) to the 2.5hz band which seemed to help buffereing.

• Dziban303Dziban303 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@papreston said:
    Is it just audio for you? I cant stream flac files but mp3 seem to be working. For video i was having problems and i switched all my chromcasts (8) to the 2.5hz band which seemed to help buffereing.

No, it doesn't connect at all.

• Dziban303Dziban303 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 5

It's disappointing that nobody has responded with any suggestions.

Some more information: One of the Chromecasts is the Chromecast 2nd gen, in the stable firmware channel, with firmware version 1.29.104827, on the 5GHz band. The other Chromecast is a Chromecast 1, in the beta firmware channel, version 1.30.109591, on the 2.4GHz band.

I tried installing Plex on a different PC, and it's exhibiting the same behavior: "Unable to cast. The media is currently unavailable."

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the settings on my account.