If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

why does plex keep dropping out from Sonos

16fairfield16fairfield Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Hi Just recently Plex (files are on a WD mirror ) keeps dropping out from Sonos. When I add new files to the NAS they are not found and also the NAS is "unavailable".

Want to buy a Pass so can listen when not at home but with this issue keeping occurring I will not be bothering with a pass as cant access files at home - they are all available via file explorer so NAS linked to PC and running.

Is it a settings issue ?

All help gratefully received

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 3,205Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 23

Make sure the NAS doesn't have a sleep mode (that Windows file sharing may wake up, but Plex might not)
    My router out of the box, even with DHCP static leases, would assign 6 hour lease expiration.
    Though Windows would handle reconnecting a file share reasonably quickly, several other devices would get 'lost' easily.
    Perhaps you can check your router and adjust it's LAN DHCP time. If you haven't already, ensure your devices have static IP addresses inside your LAN. Even if you can't adjust the lease time, having the same ip every few hours (if that's the issue) would help.

Server - HW: I7-4790K(Haswell), 16GB - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.11.2.4772
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 2TB RAID1(Intel Z87) + 4x4TB RAID5(QNAP TS-653Pro)
    Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~20mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - Tautulli - UASv3 - PlexEmail - FMoviesPlus
  • andycarverandycarver Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Re add the share. Check sleep mode on NAS

• 16fairfield16fairfield Posts: 4Members ✭✭

thanks for your answers but idont think its that the NAS allows SONos to find its files its PLEX that is not always there - it seems to want to backup my pc or at least the music on it - i have not knowingly asked it to do this it also is messing about with the metadata of some artists on sonos the artist is the year ! when i check with mp3 tag it is as it should be.

Got plex as have more mp3 than sonos can cope with but am not finding it user friendly

• 16fairfield16fairfield Posts: 4Members ✭✭

can access plex via pc and play music as i can at the moment via sonos. cannot access server settings any thoughts as to why not