Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Ubuntu 16.04 --> FreeNAS Jail Migration -- Help!

lastb0isctlastb0isct Members, Plex Pass Posts: 41 Plex Pass

I'm having nothing but problems with trying to migrate my Plex server to my FreeNAS box. I'm following all of the instructions here and am able to see the server initially. But after I "sign-out" and move the Plex Media Server\ Directory (tar'd) to the FreeNAS system something goes wrong. After extracting the content to the Plex Media Server\ Directory on the FreeNAS jail and start the services i get a "connection refused" error when trying to connect to it.

I'm moving EVERYTHING in the Plex Media Server folder from my ubuntu install, that includes plugins, etc. Has anyone experienced this before? Can I get some help?!

Best Answers

Answers

• lastb0isctlastb0isct Members, Plex Pass Posts: 41 Plex Pass

Great suggestion, trying to do that now. Looks like there is a "plex" group listed now. Here is the listing on the /etc/group file:

plex : * : 972

So I assume that means it's UID is 972. I'm running a chown on that directory...will probably take some time as there are over 1.4 million files in there. Is there a good guide to managing plex in a jail on FreeNAS? Tried to follow a guide but it didn't mention permissions at all.

edited February 26

That fixed it! Any other issues I will run into due to permissions?

Edit: Looks like i'm not able to browse most of the directories in my library...

• gbooker02gbooker02 Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 696 Plex Employee

Not being able to brows directories could be permissions as well. If you change users to the plex user see if you can browse the directories on the command line. (I don't use jails anymore but IIRC you can do a sudo -u plex -i inside the jail to get a shell as the plex user.

• BillyPrefectBillyPrefect Members, Plex Pass Posts: 109 Plex Pass
    via Email
    Your other option is to change the UID and Group of the Plex user. Uhm - pw usermod -n plex -g (whatever your files are at) if they are at anything but root of course

Sent from my iPhone

Plex Media Server Plex-Pass.

• gbooker02gbooker02 Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 696 Plex Employee

Note that if you do change the UID of the plex user, you'll have to do the chown on the "Plex Media Server" directory again.

Seems that all of my problems are directly related to permissions. I guess i'll have to form a plan on how I want to do this.

Since I have been using an "out-dated" form of my original Plex Media Server directory from my current server, do you have suggestions on how I would ONLY move new files from my current server to my new FreeNAS jail?

Also, any suggestions on how to setup the plex user to have full permissions on newly written data? For now i've kind of just given full access to everything, but that doesn't seem to be a good route moving forward.

I'm going to create some type of step-by-step guide on how to do this since most guides out there don't mention ANYTHING about these permission issues that might crop up.

Guess i'll have to get familiar with how to do ACLs on FreeNAS. I've purposely steered clear of permissions stuff with FreeNAS but now that I have to learn it...guess it's time. Thanks for the help. I'll be searching for those guides and how-to's now =)

Hi all, sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.

I got all of my permissions squared away, but now I'm having issues with actually playing back the files. No permission issues in the log, it says it's playing properly via the webGUI but ALL of my clients, local and remote, are just showing the buffering sign and never playing anything back. Any ideas?!

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? ^^^