If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New Buffering/Lag issues with Chromecast

DafreakzoDafreakzo Posts: 134Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Since around the beginning of last week almost every video file I play via either Chromecast (wifi) that I have in my home the very beginning and the very ends of videos will freeze for a random amount of time and eventually continue playing the video or move on to the next one (depending on if it is buffering at the beginning or the end)

Tested the same files streaming to my Galaxy S8 and they play flawlessly. Could this be more than likely an issue with the Chromecasts or could this be a Plex issue?

Thanks for the help

• DafreakzoDafreakzo Posts: 134Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just noticed that when this happens it say's buffering on Plex. But it looks as if this is only happening with Direct Play. Any idea's what would be causing this? Have had this server for over a year now and it only started doing this recently. Tanks.

• fostdog123fostdog123 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have also run into this issue recently, probably within the past 2-3 weeks. I was thinking it was my server despite having no issues previously, however I can confirm this has issues when direct playing to Chromecast.
    Same files play fine on Plex Web, and Plex for Android. I wonder if there were any recent updates pushed out that changed behavior. I also as of very recently see very similar behavior when streaming to xbox one.
    It's only for higher quality files, basically only 1080p files that I'm really seeing the issue with and only when Direct Playing on Chromecast or Xbox One.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer, just wanted to tell you that it may not just be you.