If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New Buffering/Lag issues with Chromecast

DafreakzoDafreakzo Posts: 178Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Since around the beginning of last week almost every video file I play via either Chromecast (wifi) that I have in my home the very beginning and the very ends of videos will freeze for a random amount of time and eventually continue playing the video or move on to the next one (depending on if it is buffering at the beginning or the end)

Tested the same files streaming to my Galaxy S8 and they play flawlessly. Could this be more than likely an issue with the Chromecasts or could this be a Plex issue?

Thanks for the help

Best Answer

Answers

• DafreakzoDafreakzo Posts: 178Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just noticed that when this happens it say's buffering on Plex. But it looks as if this is only happening with Direct Play. Any idea's what would be causing this? Have had this server for over a year now and it only started doing this recently. Tanks.

• fostdog123fostdog123 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have also run into this issue recently, probably within the past 2-3 weeks. I was thinking it was my server despite having no issues previously, however I can confirm this has issues when direct playing to Chromecast.
    Same files play fine on Plex Web, and Plex for Android. I wonder if there were any recent updates pushed out that changed behavior. I also as of very recently see very similar behavior when streaming to xbox one.
    It's only for higher quality files, basically only 1080p files that I'm really seeing the issue with and only when Direct Playing on Chromecast or Xbox One.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer, just wanted to tell you that it may not just be you.

• NemeSIS-79NemeSIS-79 Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My too - just found out today - running server: 1.12.0.4829 on Windows 10. When using ChromeCast it keeps go between Play and Buffering.

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I tend to suspect the network, initially. What Chromecast are you running, and is it wired or wireless? What's the bitrate of the video you're trying to play?

• fiskerendkfiskerendk Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 22

Im using PLEX with Chromecast everyday. And yesterday i noticed that the app on Chromecast looked different, and at the same time it now have a lot of troubles buffering/lagging/stutting when playing movies.

It seems to be related to the new version 3.43.0 version of the PLEX for Chromecast.
    New rewritten app
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/216688/plex-for-chromecast#latest

Nothing else changed in the setup, the server is running the same version as been for month.
    On PLEX for Windows and on Ios no problems is noticed.

There is a change in the application on iOS when Chromecasting, the default Quality setting is set to Original and not as before to a setting in Web Interface like 2 or 3Mbit. And it cannot remember the quality setting on next play.

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

And it cannot remember the quality setting on next play.

Do you mean on the next item that auto plays, or when you select a new item in iOS and/or web?

@Dom C said:

And it cannot remember the quality setting on next play.

Do you mean on the next item that auto plays, or when you select a new item in iOS and/or web?

Next episode of a series e.g, it Automatic goes back to Original.

Thanks. We'll check that out.

@Dom C said:
    Thanks. We'll check that out.

Sounds good, but I am more worried about the problem with buffering/lagging/stutting. Becouse its not very posible to watch an title. After 5-10mins it Begins to do this.
    If i close the stream and restart it. Changing the quality to a lower level and raise it Again or simular it will Work for a period of time 10-20min or so.

• ccb056ccb056 Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Here are a version of Plex Media Server logs, i have created a logfile for only the timeframe where i tested the problem this night.
    Also the Chromecast returning a DeviceName = Chrome instread of earlier returning Chromecast.
    Does that mean it does not even use Chromecast.xml but Chrome.xml instead?

• jeroenenwendyjeroenenwendy Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi same problem here. All Chromecast users on my plex server experiance this issue. Users with other devices don't.
    Tried downgrading to a version from 2017 but issue is still their.

So what changed

• lexxluth0rlexxluth0r Posts: 1Members

I'm experiencing a similar issue ever since the Chromecast receiver app update. Both streams in "direct play" and the playback freezes while the server status changes to "buffering" no matter the position in the stream. With some media the problem goes away if I lower the playback quality, but I cannot say that bandwidth is causing the issue because some titles fail with direct play at 8mbps while others work just fine with the quality lowered to 10mbps. Also everything works fine on mobile / laptop at any bitrate but not with Chromecast.

Please look into this issue or give the option to use the old Chromecast receiver that worked just fine.

Thank you.

edited April 9

I would like to provide an update. The buffering at the beginning and ending of episodes has stopped. But once the new Chromecast update released we have been having the buffering issues throughout videos that are 720p and higher. We decrease the quality in order to get them to play correctly now...but don't see how this would be beneficial as we would like to watch the videos we have in the quality that we have them in. If anything things have gotten worse over time.

• jeroenenwendyjeroenenwendy Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have let some user tested somethings and it looks like when using directstream with subtiles the buffer issue starts. When disabeling the subtitles it works fine. Also when i let the users transcode at a lower resolution 720p 2Mbps it is also working good

@jeroenenwendy said:
    I have let some user tested somethings and it looks like when using directstream with subtiles the buffer issue starts. When disabeling the subtitles it works fine. Also when i let the users transcode at a lower resolution 720p 2Mbps it is also working good

The buffering issue happens for me on videos with and without sub titles. Hmmmmm.

• branko.markovic77@gmail.combranko.markovic77@gmail.com Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I can confirm that I have same issue. When I try to play some show/film audio is not synced and video is buffering

• branko.markovic77@gmail.combranko.markovic77@gmail.com Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Yesterday some new update for plex has been installed but it didn't resolve problem. It is still buffering big time

• pabgarmospabgarmos Posts: 1Members

Same issue here.
    Hope it could be fixed soon

• RedUlfRedUlf Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem here