Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Shuffle Broken on Apple TV (Plex 1.24 [8154], Apple TV 4K)

danmcqdanmcq Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited February 24 in Apple TV

It seems that the shuffle feature is broken on tvOS. I'm using Plex version 1.24 (8154) on an Apple TV 4K (11.2.6). For testing, I marked all of my shows/episodes as unwatched. Then, selecting any TV series and trying to use the shuffle feature at the top level (all seasons) always results in S01E01 being played, no matter the series. Anyone else having this issue?

Answers

• PeebodyPeebody Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm seeing the exact same thing. I have the same version of the Plex player and I'm seeing this on both my Apple TV 4K and 4th Gen. I really hope this gets addressed because the shuffle is my favorite feature of the Plex app.

• mikejandreaumikejandreau Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem here. Multiple Apple TVs.

If I go into a season of a tv show, the shuffle works. Just not from the main overview of the show.

We fall asleep to shuffling tv shows every night, so this is a huge bummer for us.

• chfredricksonchfredrickson Plex iOS Developer Posts: 36Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

What version of PMS are people with this problem running? Could one of you reproduce this and attach PMS logs along with what time you tried it at?

• brendanmcdevittbrendanmcdevitt Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Every time I try to shuffle episodes for a show, it keeps wanting to play/resume the last episode played. Same thing if I try shuffling a particular season. And if it doesn’t do that, it just plays new seasons only (unwatched?) and plays in consecutive order.

Apple TV 4th gen
    tvOS 11.2.6
    Plex App (tvOS) 1.24
    Local Plex Server 1.11.0

• GoSpursGoGoSpursGo Posts: 94Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Seeing the same behavior as well.

• danmcqdanmcq Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 27

@chfredrickson said:
    What version of PMS are people with this problem running? Could one of you reproduce this and attach PMS logs along with what time you tried it at?

Running PMS Version 1.11.3.4803. Logs attached - playback started at 8:37PM EST. It should be noted that other Plex clients do not have this issue (tested with current versions of Plex app for iOS, Plex Media Player for macOS). Issue appears to be isolated to the tvOS app as far as I can tell.

edited February 27

PMS v1.11.3.4803-c40bba82e
    Reproduced at 9:23pm PST

AppleTV 4K
    tvOS 11.2.6 (15K600)
    Plex App v1.24 (8154)

Again I'm seeing the exact same thing as danmcq. Also, I don't know if it helps or not, but I also turned on Verbose Logging and Send Logs to Plex on my ATV client after the above test.

EDIT: Just noticed the message about Verbose Logging in the sidebar, will disabled that as soon as I'm able.

• kelly.donnelly@gmail.comkelly.donnelly@gmail.com Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm also seeing the same behavior for Apple TV, really annoying to have to intervene when it should just play when shuffling.

• tim_severance77tim_severance77 Posts: 1Members

Any idea when this will be fixed? I see the last update the broke things on the Apple TV was 2/26 version 1.24.1.

• ThePuppetMasinterThePuppetMasinter Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having the same issue.

If every episode is marked as watched then shuffle works though.

edited March 5

This issue is fixed for me. I marked 2 shows as unwatched and hit shuffle, they both played the pilot episode, but then shuffled afterwards. I then marked them as all watched, shuffled again and it shuffled beautifully. I checked and I now have Plex app version 1.24.1 (8229).

Thanks Plex dev team!!!

EDIT: Correction - So I went to a 3rd show that had both watched and unwatched shows and the shuffle didn't work again, until I marked all as watched.

@Peebody said:
    This issue is fixed for me. I marked 2 shows as unwatched and hit shuffle, they both played the pilot episode, but then shuffled afterwards. I then marked them as all watched, shuffled again and it shuffled beautifully. I checked and I now have Plex app version 1.24.1 (8229).

Thanks Plex dev team!!!

Issue is not fixed for me. Same exact symptoms as my original post.

@danmcq I can confirm that the issue is still not fixed as well. However, @ThePuppetMasinter's suggestion of marking everything as watched is working for me. So if there's a show that you don't care about watched/unwatched, mark them all as watched as see if that works. I've been doing that for the past couple days and I haven't have any issues unless it's a mixture of watched/unwatched.

• Issue still exists for me, has anyone else been able to confirm a fix?

• MoneyBecomesKingMoneyBecomesKing Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I too have this problem, even with the latest betas.

@chfredrickson or anyone else from the Plex team - any updates?

• brendanmcdevittbrendanmcdevitt Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I haven’t heard anything, but I’ve found that you can click+hold on the TV show poster or Season poster and it gives you an option to Shuffle. So I guess that’s an okay work around in the meantime.

@brendanmcdevitt said:
    I haven’t heard anything, but I’ve found that you can click+hold on the TV show poster or Season poster and it gives you an option to Shuffle. So I guess that’s an okay work around in the meantime.

Good to know. Thanks for the workaround.

Can’t believe this hasn’t been fixed yet. This is basic functionality that his been broken for months. Plex team - what gives?