If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Duplicate Films

renelimarenelima Posts: 2Members

I have a plex server running on a Seagate NAS. When direct access through the server my library has 268 movies (which is correct). But when I access through my xbox or iphone app has 355 movies, many duplicate movies.
I do not know what to do anymore, I've already asked the server to update the whole library, but it does not go on like this. Can someone help me?

Tagged:

Answers

• LucidonlineLucidonline Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Are you sure you are not counting the in-line collections?

• renelimarenelima Posts: 2Members

no my friend

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 2,082Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

let's share some more details on your setup -- what version of PMS, client apps do you use, maybe a screenshot from those apps?

• Usry1984Usry1984 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This also is an issue for me only for the Xbox One app. My PlayStation 4 app has no problem with duplicate movies. Why is the Xbox One so bad and hard to navigate? I hate the new collection feature. Wish there is a way to avoid it.

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,629Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hi there. This is related to the collections feature. You can change this behaviour by going to the Plex Web app, and editing your library. The relevant option is shown below.

• JestenoirJestenoir Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you very much for your post. I made the change, and then I was able to delete all of the empty collections that were not listed in the collection filter. Now I'm seeing what I actually have, and I appreciate your help making that happen :)

• jungwirthjungwirth Posts: 179Members ✭✭✭

Sorry to pile on to another persons question, but this seems to mirror my own question which I couldn't work out a relevant section to post to.

I [rather others in the house] noticed in the past month [? I'm guessing since I last ran a PMS update] that when they look at movie libraries which contain what I would call a series [but I'm assuming are a recognised 'collection'] they are seeing an individual entry (eg: The Hobbit) which when selected shows no details and when played seems to launch from what they felt was a random spot.

I'm assuming what I'm describing is the collections feature? And the instruction on how to disable it will fix it. Odd that this is visible through clients (Android, XboxOne) but not web interface.

As a RFI: the icon/tile that represents the collection needs to differentiate itself from the standalone titles because there appears no obvious visual cue to what is being listed and further the sort order of the collection item will not fall into order with the individual collection members where custom sort order has been set.

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 2,082Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jungwirth: yes... that’s the new feature which allows to display your collections inline with your movies. This can be helpful if you don’t want to search individual movies of a franchise (e.g. collection „James Bond“ but titles don’t necessarily reflect that collection name).
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/201273953-collections/

You can manually set the icon (as well as description/background ). If you don’t want to do that, Plex Shows a default poster. If you own only 1 item of the collection, Plex will use the poster of that item... if you have more than 1 items, Plex will create a poster with 4 of the collection content’s posters (2x2 ).

If you’re unsure which is which... check out the label below the poster:

• for a movie you’ll see the movie name and its release year
    • For the collection you’ll see the name and the number of items in this collection (e.g. „4 movies“)
  • jungwirthjungwirth Posts: 179Members ✭✭✭

@tom80H Thanks for the confirmation. I'll take my quibbles to a new thread :)

• alee.darcx3@gmail.comalee.darcx3@gmail.com Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Late to this thread but this fixed my issue as well. THANK YOU!