If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

What's up with playback on the Firestick?

don5815don5815 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Playback worked fine up to Saturday. Since then everytime I try to play a TV Show or Movie on my Firestick I the the message: "Your connection to the server is not fast enough to stream this video. Check your network or try a lower quality."

Never got this before in the 8 months and 100s of videos watched. I initially set the quality lower and then it wanted it continually lower until it was at the lowest setting and still did it. I then tried deleting the app from the Stick and reloading it, that worked for one movie and then it would reoccur. Now I restart the Stick, reload the app, NOTHING helps.

There has to something you guys did to the app. Netflix, Prime, everything else plays fine. Please help!

Tagged:

Answers

• ilbossilboss Posts: 55Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

programmers have updated the app for androidtv / firestick February 15 to version 6.13.7 since then a high amount of files (seem to be 1080p mp4 video with audio aac5.1) give these problems.

things are 2 or install through the guide that you find here in the forum install the 6.12 version of January manually or you have to wait for the guys to update the app ..
    I remind them that I pay the plex pass.

• don5815don5815 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't think I know how to install a different version on the Firestick. Do you?

• eqa85515eqa85515 Posts: 71Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just found that a new version has been updated to my Fire Stick. Version 6.14.1.3753

I have just tried it out and it DID NOT fix this issue. I still get the error. I am a lifetime Play Pass subscriber, why is this not fixed yet?

• vsummers11vsummers11 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have version 3753 and i'm still having the issue

• arronshieldsarronshields Posts: 76Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey, @don5815 I get this error from time to time when I'm streaming blu-ray rips as original quality. As you say, changing settings and streaming quality on the player make no difference.

9 times out of 10, I restart my router and the PC hosting my Plex server and all is well again. Have you given that ago rather than messing with the player (firestick)?

PMS (Plex Pass)
    Desktop Windows 10 PC running Media Player
    Sony KD-43X8305C Smart 4K UltraHD 43-inch TV running Plex for Android
    Amazon FireTV (2nd & 3rd Gen) running Plex for Android
    OnePlus 5 running Plex for Android

• jackmeatjackmeat Posts: 71Members ✭✭

Hi all, glad to read I am not the only one that is having this problem.Before I jump on the board, I tried basically all the usual suspects, most of which have been mentioned. I am unsure how to revert back to v6.12 PMP on the firestick though. I also have v6.14 and get the freezing thing. I can make it through 1 movie (if lucky) and the second will freeze, yet the timer keeps going like it is playing. I go out and force stop, clear cache and resume play (which takes 5x as long now) and it will play fine for a while, sometimes the rest of the movie or tv show, and then again. Same thing. Just started happening yesterday for me. I typically only watch a movie a night, so it may have been like this for longer though. I guess us firestick users are kinda stuck until this gets fixed. Please chime in if anyone figures something out or has a way to force the stick back to the functioning version. Oh I did just install the new version of PMS (Version 1.12.0.4829) and so far an hour into this movie which was freezing hasn't frozen yet. Fingers crossed.

Jackmeat, Did you install an old version on the stick? Please say how you did it.

• taz420njtaz420nj Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ilboss said:
    I remind them that I pay the plex pass.

They seriously do not care. To them you are just another sucker paying to be a beta tester. I have been having this same issue since probably September and still have not got a straight answer on why I have to throttle the files down to 2-3Mbit so they play smoothly on the stick..

Well I have the new version 6.15.2. And STILL plex will not play. What is it that you development people at Plex are doing? The Fire Stick app does not work, and the app for the Plex app for LG is not fully functional. My LG playback is fine if I watch the movie from beginning to end in one sitting, but if I stop it and come back later it will not find the last viewed point and start it there.

Don't you guys test your changes before you put them out? Your quality control sucks! Fix this

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 7,886Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11

Situation Normal All Fouled Up

I've had an AFTV about 5 years and in that time Plex has NEVER been able to develop an app worth using.
    I'm beginning to think they just don't have the 'Right Stuff' to get the job done - and since no one in the community has developed a Great Private Plex App (like RARflix for Roku, for instance), Plex hasn't been able to hire them (like they did with the developer of RARflix for Roku).

Not much new is happening...
    Plex remains app challenged for AFTV/Sticks.
    The Great Exo-Player 2 Experiment - saws off a magnum slice of Fail Cake.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

• ice_9ice_9 Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I gave up on all this and sideloaded Kodi onto my fire TV stick. It adds a layer of complexity initially, but installing that along with the kodi plex addon makes the platform usable. Kind of nice that almost everything is direct play this way.

Consider using kodi until the developers can work out these bugs. We're actually pretty fortunate that kodi is as polished as it is on Android, and that the plex addon works as well as it does. The fact that we even have this option for such an inexpensive device is noteworthy imo.

• pyroblazer68pyroblazer68 Posts: 3Members

@ice_9 said:
    I gave up on all this and sideloaded Kodi onto my fire TV stick. It adds a layer of complexity initially, but installing that along with the kodi plex addon makes the platform usable. Kind of nice that almost everything is direct play this way.

Consider using kodi until the developers can work out these bugs. We're actually pretty fortunate that kodi is as polished as it is on Android, and that the plex addon works as well as it does. The fact that we even have this option for such an inexpensive device is noteworthy imo.

Hey.. is there a guide of some kind that could help me do the above??