Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Subtitles out of sync on iOS and tvOS but working fine with PMP and web player

Andreas B.Andreas B. Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Hi,

Not sure if this is a server or a client issue, so I decided to post it here.
I have a movie (HEVC, DTS in case this might be relevant) with English audio and subtitles downloaded by the OpenSubtitles.org agent.
Playing the movie via PMP or the web player, the subtitles are perfectly in sync.
But, playing it on an iDevice or Apple TV (direct stream, audio transcoding to AAC), the subtitles are off by several seconds.
Any idea why this is the case?

Thanks
Woodstock89

Best Answer

Answers

• phoeniciansailorphoeniciansailor Members Posts: 2

I've been having the same problem for the last month or so. iPhone X / iPad Pro / AppleTV 4K. (all devices with hardware HEVC decoding)

This seems to happen to me (only?) with HEVC MP4s which play with Direct Play. There might be other combinations where it happens, but, I haven't investigated. H.264 stuff seems OK, I believe.

If I play the same media in VLC for iOS/tvOS, it fine (subs are synched).

This behaviour is new in the last month or whatever. I have media which previously played fine (synched subtitles) which now have the subtitles delayed by a few seconds.

It seems to be happening with any of the last 3 versions of the Plex server on my Mac, so, I assume this is an iOS/tvOS thing and not a server thing.

As a (possibly) separate thing, there is some HEVC media which used to play fine on my iPad which will now hang and stutter the app pretty badly, essentially locking up the Plex app for seconds at a time. Force quit is required.

• Bulan64Bulan64 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I have exactly the same problem. In all iOS devices the subs is out of sync but in PMP or via web-browser its in sync. But only with HEVC all x264 is in sync.

• hanulishanulis Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass
    edited March 12

Same here. It only appears when 'Direct Play' with 'HEVC'.

I have 3 servers that Linux, OSX, Windows. (latest build - 1.12.0-4829)
    This problem only occurs on Linux server.

So I rollback to 1.10.1-4602.

• ChrisLovesPlexChrisLovesPlex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

Subtitles are out-of-sync on my AppleTV 4k. My iPhone, iPad, synced content, and web player seem to be fine. All my content are HEVC MKV

• Andreas B.Andreas B. Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

@hanulis said:

This is interesting. My server runs on OSX (latest build as well: 1.12.0.4829).

• hanulishanulis Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

@Andreas B. said:

@hanulis said:

This is interesting. My server runs on OSX (latest build as well: 1.12.0.4829).

I'm sorry for giving you the wrong information. OSX was transcoding.

After the change to direct play, the problem occurs.

• xsidexxsidex Members Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Well I'm having the exact same issue, I have to force subtitle burn in to get them in sync which is definitely not a "fix"

Rolling back the server version fixed it for you guys? Where can I get older server versions?

• Beejay_itBeejay_it Members Posts: 2 Plex Pass
    edited April 1

Hello, i’m still getting the subtitles with 10 sec delay on iphone with newest versions of plex both client and server (mac os x sierra) just on hevc files though.
    I have an old plex client on ipad which is working fine.
    Plex on ps4 and lgtv works alright.

So, for me, the problem happens only on the newest version of iOS app for hevc contents.

I ask to the staff to look into it please

Thank you

• eX&TriCeX&TriC Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

Did someone get any feedback from plex on when this will be adressed. It is almost May now and this issue still occurs.

• Beejay_itBeejay_it Members Posts: 2 Plex Pass
    edited May 11

There is an update and it solved the problem