If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FF/RW skip

jpirottejpirotte Posts: 103Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

First off, may thanks to Plex employees as I think the app has gotten really good. It's now our primary way of watching content.

My main pain point at the moment is the lack of a smooth rewind/fast forward. Personally I'd love to see the previous way it used to work with the preview window, but could still work with the current system if it wasn't for the buffering on each skip.

The only other issue I have is an occasional buffer issue when watching direct play but at least that's listed on the current "known issues" sticky post.

Best Answer

Answers

• mal68mal68 Posts: 128Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 27

New update out and it still doesn't appear to address the FF/RWD issues.

Can the Devs at least comment if they intend to rectify this. Very frustrating to have had functionality removed

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 571Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Moussa can you please petition to move it up in priority? It's such a basic function that we'd like to get back soon.

• ThunderVamp9ThunderVamp9 Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agreed, this should have been a top priority.

• ember1205ember1205 Posts: 200Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree that the previous method with the preview window and being able to scroll to where you wanted was actually nice. The current FF 30 sec REW 10 sec is terrible because the REW function has terrible lag. Sometimes the FF works well, but it seems very hit-and-miss for me.

While I would definitely like a FF/REW function that works well, a solid skip forward / skip back system would be ok if it worked.

• jpirottejpirotte Posts: 103Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've recently optimized my library and noticed the RW/FF works almost perfectly on Optimized for TV content. So for me the issue really seems to only be for MPEG2 video. It feels kind of odd to have to convert content just to be able to skip through commercials. @Mousa I think getting the current RW/FF working on different content without buffering might be a good solution for most. I had recently requested the previous type of skipping only due to the fact that this method didn't work on the specific content I was playing back. I didn't realize that it worked much better on h264 (I never skip through movies)

I disagree, this would not be a solution. This would be a small improvement while be wait for the real solution. I just want the normal FF/RWD function back that we had previously and I assume others do too

I guess both would be the perfect solution, but having not one good solution on non optimized content is pretty terrible.

• Tdawg410Tdawg410 Posts: 60Members ✭✭

I'm not sure @Moussa understands how bad this is. Do you even use the app on Xbox?

For example: I'm trying to watch a race. It has X minutes or pre-race coverage with interviews, grid walks, etc. I want to get to the race start. It may be 15mins, maybe 14min 10 sec... I have to hit FF 30 TIMES (with lots of buffering over and over btw) and hope it doesn't start in the middle of the first lap!

Another example: Wife and I watching a movie, she falls asleep sometime around 90mins in... I finish it cuz I'm not tired. The next day she wants to finish it. I have to hit FF 180 TIMES (again with lots of buffering!) And hope it's about at the place she remembers.

This is insane and has been a request since the first day this new crap app was forced on us 6 months ago. It needs to be a top priority.

• matthew10199matthew10199 Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

One easier way to skip large amounts of time is to hit up/down on the controller which will skip by 10 minutes. Also I only have this problem while direct playing/streaming, so turning off those and forcing transcoding makes seeking much smoother. Not an ideal solution but it may help until they fix the issue, hopefully along with the many other problems with the app.

• ember1205ember1205 Posts: 200Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@matthew10199 said:
    One easier way to skip large amounts of time is to hit up/down on the controller which will skip by 10 minutes. Also I only have this problem while direct playing/streaming, so turning off those and forcing transcoding makes seeking much smoother. Not an ideal solution but it may help until they fix the issue, hopefully along with the many other problems with the app.

On what platform? On Android TV and Fire Stick, pressing "Up" brings up status information. Or, do you have to press it a second time?

How come FF/REW works perfectly on my iOS devices? Is it because I've sync'ed content that has been transcoded to suit the particular device's viewport?

• Tdawg410Tdawg410 Posts: 60Members ✭✭

Since this is the XBOX One subforum, I would think he's referring to the Xbox platform :tongue:

For me his suggestion wont work since I use an IR media remote controller and not the xbox controller.

@Tdawg410 said:
    Since this is the XBOX One subforum, I would think he's referring to the Xbox platform :tongue:

For me his suggestion wont work since I use an IR media remote controller and not the xbox controller.

I use a logitech harmony remote w/ an IR receiver and the UP button works for 10 min skip.

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 571Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jpirotte said:

@Tdawg410 said:

I use a logitech harmony remote w/ an IR receiver and the UP button works for 10 min skip.

Same here. It works to skip ahead 10 minutes, but I have to wait for buffering to catch up before I can skip again to the next 10 minute chunk. If I don't wait, it has a tendency to freeze and I have to restart.

edited April 4

This is me today (and every time there is a Plex update for Xbox)

"Looking at the clock waiting for work to end. See an email saying Moussa has posted an update for the plex app and I'm pumped. Finally the FF/RWD has been fixed I'm thinking. So I quickly check the update notes and scan for the notes about FF/RWD and it's not there. Again.

Back to watching the clock."

I don't even read the other notes anymore

• Spyder ZSpyder Z Posts: 1Members

For whatever reason, up does not skip 10 Minutes for me, and navigating through a movie is incredibly frustrating. This was an amazing oversight, and it's bizarre that it was not immediately fixed.