If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Out of sync subtitle when playing X265 (HEVC)

midrangemidrange Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the issue on my apple TV 4th gen and Iphone 10, if i play x265 (HEVC) video with external subtitle while direct play is ON then the subtitle will show exactly 10 second late, and to fix this i tried turning direct play OFF on my appletv and iphone but it doesn't prevent from direct playing as in server it shows (DIRECT STREAM) so the only option that fixed my problem was to change the Burn Subtitle to Always.

• nifmusnifmus Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just noticed this myself tonight too and it is definitely to do with HEVC files.

I'll try your workaround as an interim solution.

• KillRoy1972KillRoy1972 Posts: 2Members

I believe that subtitles are a bit of an issue with the hevc codec. It is still not possible to direct play hevc files with ‘direct play’ external subtitles for instance, the subtitles need to be inserted in the container.. it is still not possible to ‘project’ the external subtitles on a hevc file, plex will take the hevc video file and transcode it into a h264 in order to be able to send the subtitle file and for the client to ‘project’ the external subtitles on the video.

The sunc issue seems to be a appletv plexclient issue.. i dont have any issue with subtitle sync on other hardeare clients.. even my iphone 6s will play it in sync..

My appetv 4k has a 6 or 7 second delay with the subtitles..

Burning in the subtitles is not an option for me, it will evetually play the subtitles in sync, but the video will be transcoded to a h264 format, which takes to much resources imo..

• miklo78miklo78 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Same here. I think the problem is related to some of the latest updates. Before, I have played many HEVC/MKVs with SRT subtitles for months without any sync problems.

Can anyone tell me where to find the Burn Subtitle -> Always option?

• dirtycajunricedirtycajunrice Posts: 141Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@miklo78 Go to Settings > Player > Burn Subtitles > Always (This is the way on the web. Should be similar on devices)

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

My Setup:
    Plex Media Server: Ubuntu 16.04 VM
    Servers: 2x R620 each with 2x Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz / 96GB RAM
    Storage (SAN): Ubuntu 16.04 using NFS with 160TB (192TB / 2 RAID6 Pools MDADM > LVM > EXT4)
    Clients: iOS, WebUI, Nvidia Shield, Roku

• ivisoiviso Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

same issue

• augustosanchezaugustosanchez Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Same Issue,
    And burn subtitles not is a option, because transcode the file.

in previous versions World fine.

• russirussi Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I noticed this problem to, if I force AppleTV client to transcode to h.264 then subtitles are in sync.
    Also as KillRoy1972 said, if there is a subtitle in the container then it´s no issue

• WatchTowerPlexWatchTowerPlex Posts: 211Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issue...

• RuledoggRuledogg Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello, I´m experiencing exactly the same Problem. Any News ?

• JeremyPengJeremyPeng Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also have the same problem.
    Both iOS and TvOS are affected by this bug!

My temporary solution:

Rollback Plex Media Server version to
    This version of PMS does not have this problem, and all versions after this version number have this problem. no this feature:
    Support HDMI frame rate and dynamic range switching on the Apple TV 4K

I guess the addition of this feature has caused this problem. I hope plex employees are trying to fix it.
    I love Plex and is also a user of apple tv 4k. I hope it can support both HDMI frame rate and dynamic range switching and srt subtitles sync.