If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Problem with movie extras

ElJimador40ElJimador40 Posts: 151Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I launch MPC-BE as an external player to use madVR and everything has been working great except recently I noticed that my movie extras are stuttering horribly due to unusually high rendering times and dropped frames. I'm sure this has something to do with the Handbrake settings I use that are specific to these extras however I can't figure out what the issue is and looking at MediaInfo for these files there's nothing about them that stands out at all from. So I figured out a work around by creating madVR profile rules by the movie extras file name extensions ("-featurette.mkv", "-behindthescenes.mkv", etc.) so that less aggressive scaling settings are used for these files. And that solution works perfectly now when I play these files either with MPC-BE directly or launching through Kodi. Through the Plex for Kodi add on though those profile rules are ignored.

I don't know if it's the add-on or Plex itself but I assume there's something about how movie extras are handled that the extensions are somehow not actually read as part of the filename? All the other profile rules I have setup in madVR by resolution and frame rate work perfectly though Plex for Kodi. It's only this one that doesn't so I"m just trying to figure out if there's some way to make Plex recognize those extensions as part of the filename so that the profile rules will be followed.

BTW I already reinstalled Kodi and that didn't help (Krypton 17.6 on Windows 7). Thanks.

• ElJimador40ElJimador40 Posts: 151Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Nevermind. I created a madVR profile rule by runtime so that any video <25 min is played at less aggressive settings. It's not a perfect solution since there are some movie extras that run longer than that however it appears to be about the best solution available.

FWIW I tried editing the playercorefactory to make these files open with a different external player (VLC) and through a lot of trial and error I figured out that it's not just movie extras, it's that either Plex for Kodi simply doesn't follow any rule set up by filename whether it's in a madVR profile rule, playercorefactory, or wherever. So if there's not another attribute available to help separate the files you're trying to distinguish with tags then you're just kind of stuck.