Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is a 60GB memory footprint normal for plex media server OSx 1.12.0.4829 when transcoding?

CoMb0BrEaKeRCoMb0BrEaKeR Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited March 12 in macOS/OS X (Mac)

Hi all.

I did an update to Plex media server 1.12.0.4829 and noticed with 2 active sessions the memory footprint was nearly 60gb. Normally I would think this is a memory leak but I was reading that Plex uses memory as a cache when transcoding.

Is this normal operation? I have not seen any issues with clients but it does seem like excessive memory usage.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• CoMb0BrEaKeRCoMb0BrEaKeR Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

So I found the operation of the Plex server is VERY much not normal. If I have 1 client it ok the second there are 2 clients or if I sync anything to my iPhone or iPad it causes all the connected clients video to stop or get the error "The network connection is not fast enough." Also during they sync I get a transcoder error and the file will not load onto the iOS devices.

Answers

Accepted Answer

So I found the operation of the Plex server is VERY much not normal. If I have 1 client it ok the second there are 2 clients or if I sync anything to my iPhone or iPad it causes all the connected clients video to stop or get the error "The network connection is not fast enough." Also during they sync I get a transcoder error and the file will not load onto the iOS devices.

So I disabled Hardware Encoding and the memory issues stopped. I think hardware encoding option on OSX is broken.

• ncstrevncstrev Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I noticed issues recently with transcoding which I never had previously. Similar memory report as OP.
    Disabling Hardware Encoding resolved. Definitely broken!

Now the real question is to keep trying to figure out the issue or give up. I have a quad core i7 and only if there are more then 4 connections is there an issue. I do use the sync option frequently but not sure if sync even uses hardware encoding.