Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can someone explain to me how Plex DVR and Live TV work in my situation?

plex_gbplex_gb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 25 Plex Pass

I have an existing Plex server running on a windows box. I have a HDHomerun Connect, and a Plex Pass.
I have a number of shows scheduled to record and they happily do so. I previously watched these using OpenPHT.

I then recently crashed the party by adding a 16GB Nvidia Shield. I purchased it because not only could it be used to schedule recordings, it could also do Live TV!

I am now confused about a couple of things:
Do I need to enable the server on the Shield to view Live TV?
If I do enable the server on the Shield and schedule a show to record, how is it decided which server should record it?

Live TV worked for a little while on the Shield when it was fresh out of the box. Since connecting the Shield Plex client to the existing windows server, selecting a show to view in Live TV just crashes Plex about 90% of the time now. This happens with or without the server running on the Shield. The Plex Android app then switches to 'Restore Pending' until I restart the Shield. Anyone seen this before or know how to fix it?

Cheers!

Best Answer

• plex_gbplex_gb Posts: 25 Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Thanks, so it sounds like it SHOULD work. When I get some time I'll try factory resetting the Shield and setting it up again. I can't use Live TV due to an aspect ratio issue, but once that is resolved I'd really like to use the Live TV Function

Answers

• rljncrljnc Members, Plex Pass Posts: 158 Plex Pass

No you do not need the server on the shield to view live tv, in this case the shield is just your plex client, if you do not want to use the shield as a server I would uninstall it, maybe do a restart of the shield, open plex and connect to your windows server and see what happens, never seen this so just what I would try, maybe someone has another idea. I do have a 16 gig shield that I run the server on an a widows machine that I run the server on, I can connnect to either and watch live tv or whatever.

• plex_gbplex_gb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 25 Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Thanks, so it sounds like it SHOULD work. When I get some time I'll try factory resetting the Shield and setting it up again. I can't use Live TV due to an aspect ratio issue, but once that is resolved I'd really like to use the Live TV Function