Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku Plex App Will Not Load Files After a Recent Update

AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 1,121Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited March 7 in Roku

Not sure when this happened... but I believe the Roku Plex app had an update somewhere in February. Since then, all of my Rokus have had issues default loading a lot of files. In this most recent case (logs attached) it was a Plex DVR'd file from a 480i channel.

The only way I can get these files to play is to load them with Direct Play and Direct Stream disabled, which I believe forces a transcode.

Logs and file XML attached. I can reproduce the issue at any time, with several files.

EDIT: To clarify, the file loads to 99% and then I get an unable to load error. Also, my Premiere seems to be handling them fine. The Roku TV and the Roku Express are struggling.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

Best Answer

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 1,121Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Well, it seems like it's been a while since a file refused to load. I think it's safe enough to say that this issue has been rectified for me. Thank you for all of your help!

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

Answers

Also of note, now that I think about it... I recently factory reset the Premiere. The more I think about it, the more I think this is a Roku based, and not a Plex Server based problem... All files play perfectly in PMP and through other clients.

Perhaps the profile in Plex says the file is compatible with a newer update, when in fact, it is not?

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,944Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@AmazingRando24 would you be able to provide a sample or the full source of at least one of the videos exhibiting this issue? Feel free to PM me a way to obtain the file (dropbox, google drive, etc).

• schoenofschoenof Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem here...All DVRed files will not play on Roku 4 (but do play on Roku Ultra and other clients)...same solution, disable direct stream.....See this thread "OTA DVR Broken After Roku Update"....

Thank you, @ljunkie I have sent you a PM.

This file was created by Plex DVR.

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,944Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for the sample @AmazingRando24! We are investigating this now.

@schoenof thanks for the link to the other thread. I will comment there shortly. This is a known issue on the Roku 4, and we do disable direct stream automatically for liveTV, but it looks like we need to do this for DVR content too (anything save from the live TV feed if not converted). We will continue to investigate and find the proper solution.

This worked perfectly until somewhere around a February update that I cannot peg. I can only speculate or guess, but my inclination is to think it was a Plex Roku client update, rather than a PMS update.

@ljunkie, I've noticed this happening with a few files outside of DVR as well. I'll have to wait till I get home to double check specifics. Will XML from files be sufficient, or would you like another uploaded sample?

@AmazingRando24 samples are always the best so we can replicate internally to figure out what's going on. With that said, we should have an update going out shortly to better handle this scenario. It should general fix this issue, but still, a sample would be great to verify.

Accepted Answer

Well, it seems like it's been a while since a file refused to load. I think it's safe enough to say that this issue has been rectified for me. Thank you for all of your help!