If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Devices That Allow DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD Passthrough?

I'm looking for a new streaming device to plug into my Denon receiver and Samsung 4K. Ideally, I want it to be able to passthrough both 7.1 DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. I know that the Nvidia Shield can do this. What other devices out there can?

Answers

• dirtycajunricedirtycajunrice Posts: 169Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If you want 4k and 7.1 you have already thought of the best device. The Shield is the undisputed champion currently.

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

My Setup:
    Plex Media Server: Ubuntu 16.04 VM
    Servers: 2x R620 each with 2x Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz / 96GB RAM
    Storage (SAN): Ubuntu 16.04 using NFS with 160TB (192TB / 2 RAID6 Pools MDADM > LVM > EXT4)
    Clients: iOS, WebUI, Nvidia Shield, Roku

• FordGuy61FordGuy61 Posts: 451Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My setup: Shield TV --> Denon 4300H --> LG OLED55B7P

Shield works great. Passes through all Dolby and dts audio streams to the Denon, including TrueHD 5.1/7.1, Atmos, dts-HD MA 5.1/7.1, and dts:X.

AFAIK, Shield is the only off the shelf set top box that supports all Dolby & dts audio formats. Apple TV & Amazon Fire TV do not passthrough dts audio. Roku tech specs mention dts passthrough, but do not mention TrueHD/Atmos.

On the "roll your own" front, some people have mentioned the Odroid C2.

Hopefully others with direct experience w/ Roku & Odroid will chime in.

You might also search the forum for more info on the Odroid & Roku.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 30,269Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

The shield is only trumped by a fully blown HTPC in terms of pass-through ability.

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • ST DogST Dog Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@FordGuy61 said:

Got any helpful links for Odroid C2 used as a media PLAYER with Plex?
    Is it using Linux or Android or openELEC?

• nigelpbnigelpb Posts: 1,114Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ST Dog said:

@FordGuy61 said:

Got any helpful links for Odroid C2 used as a media PLAYER with Plex?
    Is it using Linux or Android or openELEC?

The Odroid C2 is running OpenPHT which is an Open Source version of Plex Home Theatre the client app that Plex dropped in favour of the current Plex media Player & many users prefer the UI. OpenPHT is running on top of LibreElec i.e. Kodi. You get the benefits of the nice PHT UI plus the flexible player of Kodi which handles most anything you throw at it plus has all sorts ion knobs to twiddle to get the audio & video just to your liking. The Odroid C2 is like a Raspberry Pi but up to 10x faster. It's a DIY solution but there are one-stop shops for the board, box, power supply, remote & other bits & pieces you will need e.g. https://www.odroid.co.uk or https://ameridroid.com.

I think that the Odroid is a great solution if you don't need HDR. If you do need then the Shield is the only game in town albeit at more than twice the price of an Odroid & with a fantastically ugly UI. OpenPHT is long due an update & it is promised to incorporate a newer version of Kodi that does support HDR.

Check out the Plex OpenPHT forum for more details https://forums.plex.tv/categories/openpht

BTW OpenPHT is available on Windows Mac & Linux too so if you want to see if you like the UI it's easy to test.

• macdoemacdoe Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@FordGuy61 said:
    My setup: Shield TV --> Denon 4300H --> LG OLED55B7P

Shield works great. Passes through all Dolby and dts audio streams to the Denon, including TrueHD 5.1/7.1, Atmos, dts-HD MA 5.1/7.1, and dts:X.

Hi @FordGuy61

I do have the same setup (Shield 2017 & Denon 4300H) but are not able to get DTS HD MA working (DD, DD+ and DTS are working fine). Would you mind sharing your settings for Shield, Plex and the receiver?

This is what I tried so far:
    1) Shield:

• Surround: always
    • Fixed volume: on
      2) Plex:

• Passthrough: Auto

• FordGuy61FordGuy61 Posts: 451Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@macdoe75+plex@spacemail.fm Sure. Here's my settings:

Shield
    Volume Control = CEC
    Surround Sound = Auto
    Stereo Upmix = Off (slider to left)
    Fixed Volume = Off (slider to left)

Plex App on Shield
    Audio Quality -> Internet Streaming = Original (should not matter for local playback)
    Video -> Audio Boost = None
    Advanced -> Passthrough = Auto

On the Denon, I've a 5.1.2 setup (assignment pic below). I used Audyssey to set up the speakers.
    I usually run the "Auto" sound mode. The Pure (yellow) sound mode button on the remote cycles between Direct, Pure Direct, & Auto.

Here's a pic of the on screen display (press "Info" button on remote). I'm playing a movie with a dts-HD MA 7.1 soundtrack. "Signal" shows the receiver is seeing the dts-HD MA audio stream. Input Signal shows the channel mapping.

• akbareeakbaree Posts: 8Members ✭✭
    edited May 13

Hello, I have a similar question. I have Marantz 6011 receiver. And am currently using QNAP TS-253B NAS as my Plex Media Server. I am looking for a streamer to play my movie library thru Marantz.

Will Chromecast Ultra be a good choice? Will I be able to direct play/direct stream using Ultra? I am keen on Ultra as it support Dolby Vision.

Thanks in advance for help :smile:

• brimurbrimur Posts: 59Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@akbaree I could be wrong but I dont believe the Ultra outputs anything other than PCM or DD+ so if you are someone who loves to see the TrueHD, ATMOS or DTS/X/MA triggered on your AVR you will be disappointed