Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Nvidia Shield as PMS transcoding 4K HEVC 10bit capability

Risino15Risino15 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass
edited March 10 in NVIDIA SHIELD

I am considering to buy new device for my Plex Server and my choice was DS918+, but I am interested if I could use the Shield as my server and how many 4K HEVC 10bit files would it be able to transcode. It would save me money if I only bought the Shield, because i wouldnt have to buy chromecast for the TV, but I NEED to be able to transcode 4K HEVC 10bit on my server. I was trying to research it myself but no luck, because there is no info on it's CPU, like there is on Intel's.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• dgwharrisondgwharrison Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

I'm interested in this question. I'd like to expand the question to say, what containers and codecs both audio and video is the NVIDIA Shield capable of playing / transcoding? So for example the xbox one s only properly plays a file if it's in mp4, has no subtitle tracks and only has audio in AAC or AC3; is the NVIDIA Shield limited like the xbox one s?

• dgwharrisondgwharrison Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Also does Plex on the NVIDIA Shield support putting the library database on an external drive? Because 16GB isn't enough for mine by a country mile.

• Risino15Risino15 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

I can answer these questions, it can play anything like standard plex server, and yes it can put it's library on an external drive, but you have to format it as Internal storage

• myplex.semyplex.se Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

@dgwharrison said:
    Also does Plex on the NVIDIA Shield support putting the library database on an external drive? Because 16GB isn't enough for mine by a country mile.

Yes, i'm using a Synology myself with the NVIDIA shield.

• Risino15Risino15 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass
    edited March 12

@myplex.se And can the Shield transcode 4K 10bit HEVC files?

• danlat1415danlat1415 Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

No it's not powerful enough to transcode.
    Doesn't work for me. It tries to start, but then gives an error.
    My library works fine off a NAS connected to my router.

• Elfaron88Elfaron88 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass
    edited April 11

@danlat1415 said:
    No it's not powerful enough to transcode.
    Doesn't work for me. It tries to start, but then gives an error.
    My library works fine off a NAS connected to my router.

hmm thats not true... 4K 10bit HDR bt2020 HEVC including Dolby Atmos or DTS:X works fine...

or better said, it worked till last week... :) now some of them i just hear the sound, but the screen is green... and the others work without problem...

• vincent.rct@outlook.comvincent.rct@outlook.com Members Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited April 13

I'm French

you can play your MKV 4K HDR 10 BITS ATMOS on Plex server from your SHIELD (NAS linked to your router).

But Plex have big problems to read those files, I'm using Kodi who is better.
    Sometimes works fine, sometimes don't.
    If you want to change subtitles or audio track during playing your movie you will have some bugs

Plex need a important update

Kodi player is much more better for 4K files