If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is it possible to share my plex via DLNA

Turtletom2014Turtletom2014 Posts: 17Members ✭✭

Just a quick one I am trying to share my content with my father who doesnt live with myself. He has got a panasonic DMP-UB900EB UHD player. after looking on the supposed app store it appears that Plex can not be downloaded.

Is it possible to share the content somehow using DLNA? if not is there any other way that this could possibly be achieved?

Best Answer

• Turtletom2014Turtletom2014 Posts: 17Members ✭✭

@OttoKerner said:
    DLNA cannot cross the boundaries of your home network. So no, unfortunately not possible.

so what about if I was able to share my server to his pc then he uses DLNA to send that to the player, im completely new to the world of DLNA so sorry if it seems a dumb question

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 28,972Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

It is worth a try, but it might just end with a big frustration.
    I don't think that Plex Server has a compatible hardware profile for Panasonic devices. So playback might not be working at all.

Install Plex Server on your dad's PC. Sign in his server into his own plex account. (If he doesn't have one, yet, he must create one). You share your server with his plex account.

After you have verified that your dad can access your Plex Server using the web app on his PC (i.e. the 'normal way'), you activate DLNA on his Plex Server.

IF everything is working, he should see a DLNA server (when browsing with his Panasonic device) with 3 folders: Video, Music, Photos
    Enter 'Video'
    then 'Shared Video'

He needs to have his PC on all the time.

Given the many IFs and WHENs, it might be easier to just give him a Raspberry Pi3 with 'PMP embedded' on it. Or maybe a Firestick or a Chromecast.

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging