Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Using Plex with a Nighthawk X10 R9000 Router and viewing through an Xbox One on a dumb TV

gregu206gregu206 Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited March 9 in Xbox One

I bought a Nighthawk X10 R9000 router with a USB3 attached hard drive of 15TB. I do not have a smart TV (TV is a 1080p) and so I use the XBox One to connect to Plex in the R9000 via Microsoft Explorer. It works sometimes, but lately videos have frozen with the error that not enough disk space available. I have around 12TB on the attached hard drive free and a 1TB drive on the Xbox with about 80% of it free. I am new to Plex and might be going about this all wrong. So I have some basic questions:

1.) Is there a better way with my existing equipment to run Plex. I use the 15TB hard drive as a network backup storage and so it needs to stay on the network.

2.) Instead of running Plex through Explorer, should I install Plex on the Xbox One and use the Xbox version? If so, will all the library information and metadata be accessible via the network without the Xbox One on? I am setting up an XBox 360 or WII in another room with another dumb TV and so I want the library information to be available anywhere on the router. I also use a network laptop to maintain the library and also to add new videos.

3.) I am converting all of my DVD/Blu Rays to this media server and use the original resolution and bitrates of the media. I save as MP2 format files and noticed that Plex has to convert. Is this an issue? I thought Plex's transcoder would be able to handle this with the X10.

4.) I read online that sometimes the cache gets full and needs to be cleared on the Xbox One and so I unplug for a couple of minutes and restart. I have also restarted the router. It seemed to help on a test video (780p) that would freeze about 3 minutes into it and after the reset lasted at least 10 minutes. I stopped the test, so I do not know if it still would freeze latter. So basically, do I have to clear the cache and/or reset the router every time?

Answers

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,620Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would say the problem is using the router as a server.
    You have a very expensive router from what I read is not anyones answer to be a reliable PMS.
    Buy a nvidia shield.

Plex related : NAS Qnap TVS-1282, (Plex server & main storage) Synology 1817+ (backup Plex server & backup storage), 2x NUC (Skull i7 , i5), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (backup Plex servers)(2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 pro and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• gregu206gregu206 Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 10

I will look into the Nvidia Shield, but in the mean time, what can I do with my existing setup? Also, since I have another TV, it appears I would have to buy another Nvidia Shield to install on that TV and then how would my library be shared? I need a solution that I can use on my network.

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 574Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 10

You should definitely use the Plex app for the Xbox One. The problem you'll probably run into though is that not all videos will play because the nighthawk won't be powerful enough to transcode. It's worth a shot though.

What is the Windows Explorer that you've been using? Do you mean the Microsoft Edge browser?

Edit: One other thing. You might want to try using MakeMKV to create mkv's of your videos rather than mp2's. Mkv's work fairly well with the Xbox One. You might just have issues with high bitrate 1080p movies.

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,620Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The Shield is the server ( and can be a player ) it will serve to the xbox and every other client!!

Xbox is a client only

Plex related : NAS Qnap TVS-1282, (Plex server & main storage) Synology 1817+ (backup Plex server & backup storage), 2x NUC (Skull i7 , i5), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (backup Plex servers)(2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 pro and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !