Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

LED lights and event to notify of recording in progress

Brandon0413Brandon0413 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass

I've used this app for a long time called LEDsDriver from Slick Solutions (I am in no way affiliated with them). It's main function for me has been to turn a small red LED light on when my windows pc records a tv show using Windows Media Center.

It was a fun little project that didn't take long at all. Basically, you just solder a small LED to a cable you can plug into a serial port on your motherboard. I pulled a serial cable from an old computer and I used a multi color LED that happened to be a perfect replacement for the one that was in the case I used to build my pc. The multi color LED has a red, green and blue led inside of it and you can adjust it all with the LEDsDriver app to make whatever color you want triggered by different events.

The app has a number of built in events specific to WMC such as recording. You can tell it to turn the led one color when recording one show and to turn another or flash a certain speed when recording 2 as an example. It also has some built in for windows such as sleep mode.

But, more importantly here, I think, is the ability to control this app from the command line or a script. So, there are a lot of possibilities here for things such as debugging for example. Say, you are testing something and wanted to be alerted of certain things that happen or go wrong. You could have your code turn the LEDs different colors to let you know something is happening.

I am in the process of migrating to plex and am wanting to get this rigged up to turn my led red when recording. I need some type of event(s) that can trigger a script to tell LEDsDriver to turn my LED red if one show is recording or flash red if 2 shows are recording and go back to blue when nothing is recording. I've seen there are a number of Web Hooks in plex but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I might need to write a small app to watch or hit the plex api occasionally and report to LEDsDriver.

Anyone have an idea? I'm new to plex and have only scratched the surface so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some events like this built in already.

Answers