Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

SRT Subtitles cause movie to be transcoded even when "Burn subtitles" is set to "Only image formats"

DanDonFriDanDonFri Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi there,

i am on version 6.14.1 of the Android TV app. When watching specific movies with SRT subtitles on, the app causes my Plex server to transcode the stream, even tho the option "Burn subtitles" is set to "Only image formats".

The same video with the same subtitles watched through the web player is reproduced directly.

The XML information of one of the videos is as follows:
part 1
part 2

Can i somehow get the TV app to play directly too, to get a smoother reproduction?

Best Answer

Answers

• sgjahnsgjahn Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issue. It's very frustrating. It's also causing my subtitles to appear 2 seconds early and I can't figure out how to fix it. This all started with the introduction of the new exoplayer.

• sgjahnsgjahn Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also, on my firetv, when I put a new forced srt file in the movie folder and refresh the metadata on the server, the player will continuously show the chapter number instead of the subtitles. I have to completely restart the firetv to fix the issue.

• DanDonFriDanDonFri Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Francesco said:

@DanDonFri said:
    Hi there,

i am on version 6.14.1 of the Android TV app. When watching specific movies with SRT subtitles on, the app causes my Plex server to transcode the stream, even tho the option "Burn subtitles" is set to "Only image formats".

The same video with the same subtitles watched through the web player is reproduced directly.

part 1
    part 2

Can i somehow get the TV app to play directly too, to get a smoother reproduction?

It's a know problem, it happens when the video as DTS audio and subtitles. Dolby Digital Audio and subtitles direct play with no problems

Thanks, at least now i know. I guess i can always re-encode the audio to ac3.

• _Francesco__Francesco_ Posts: 224Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@DanDonFri said:

Francesco said:

@DanDonFri said:
    Hi there,

part 1
    part 2

It's a know problem, it happens when the video as DTS audio and subtitles. Dolby Digital Audio and subtitles direct play with no problems

Thanks, at least now i know. I guess i can always re-encode the audio to ac3.

or you can use Plex for Kodi, it doesn't do DTS but it can convert it on the fly to 5.1 ac3