Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to create a basic keyboard config?

Oliver 1234Oliver 1234 Members Posts: 3

For a start I created a basic input map in the directory
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\PlexMediaPlayer\inputmaps

with the content:

{
"name": "Keyboard Custom",
"idmatcher": ".*",
"mapping":
{
"Left": "seek_backward",
"Right": "seek_forward",
}
}

But its not working. Pressing cursor keys still jumps to next/prev movie instead of a (10?) second seek.
Also Space for example pauses the movie, but I didn't even configure Space at all !!!

What are the correct steps to create custom keymap?

PS: I want to set keys similar to Linux MPV, maybe someone already has such a layout?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Oliver 1234Oliver 1234 Members Posts: 3
    Accepted Answer

Yes I restarted it. And I didn't know that it only works in fullscreen, but I just checked, I have fullscreen mode anyway.

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 30,880 Plex Ninja

Copy the file keyboard.json from the /inputmaps/examples subfolder one level upwards into the /inputmaps folder.
    Then simply edit it. It has all the default key bindings in it.

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

Well, I copied exactly this file to the inputmaps folder.
    Then I replaced Left and Right with seek_{backward,forward} but it didn't have any effect. Pressing Right cursor in Plex Media Player still jumps to the next title instead of only a few seconds.

After this I tried to remove everything except Left and Right which should leave me with only this two keys, right?
    It doesn't work either. All the default keys from the keymap file are still there.

Stupid question: did you close PMP and restart it after editing the file?

You are aware that these keybindings are only active in PMPs full screen mode?
    If you are still using the windowed mode (the one which looks exactlky like the Web app), you can only use the hard-coded short cuts.

Accepted Answer

Yes I restarted it. And I didn't know that it only works in fullscreen, but I just checked, I have fullscreen mode anyway.

@Oliver 1234 said:

May I see a screenshot?