Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Full reinstall but keep Names/Posters

thehritzinatorthehritzinator Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43 Plex Pass

I'm having issues with my plex detailed here and want to try to do a full uninstall and reinstall, but put it on my SDD. I have over 100 TV Shows and 600 Movies/Documentaries/Sports. I'd rather not go through every one of these and change the posters again/names for collections. Which files can I copy over to the new install that wouldn't affect a new install, just the posters/names?

Best Answer

Answers

• dduke2104dduke2104 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 257 Plex Pass

Are you trying to keep the Plex database where this information is kept or is there a database problem you're trying to solve by reinstalling PMS?

• thehritzinatorthehritzinator Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43 Plex Pass

@dduke2104 said:
    Are you trying to keep the Plex database where this information is kept or is there a database problem you're trying to solve by reinstalling PMS?

Trying to keep the database info

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 17,634 Plex Employee

Sorry, I posted something but had to remove it since I wasn't quite sure what you are doing and it might not have answered your question.

Are you changing your drive or adding a new extra drive?
    Did you want to move the PMS program files to this drive or the Plex database info?
    If you want to move the program files, do you also want the database info or leave it where it is?

• thehritzinatorthehritzinator Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43 Plex Pass

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Sorry, I posted something but had to remove it since I wasn't quite sure what you are doing and it might not have answered your question.

Are you changing your drive or adding a new extra drive?
    Did you want to move the PMS program files to this drive or the Plex database info?
    If you want to move the program files, do you also want the database info or leave it where it is?

I have it currently installed on my D drive. I want to try installing to my C drive without having to redo all of my covers/posters. Last time I tried, it ended up still creating directories in the D drive, so I want to do like a full wipe. Move the database info to a flash drive, completely delete all traces of Plex, then reinstall, then copy my database over from the flash drive to the C drive

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 17,634 Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer