Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Buffering outside my local network

sumstersumster Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited March 16 in macOS/OS X (Mac)

Running a Mac mini (late 2012) on a Intel Core i5 2.5 GHz with 4 GB of memory / macOS Sierra version 10.12.6 / Issue: Buffering bad outside my local area, Wifi and other outside networks while connected to my ISP - Works great on my local network and WiFi through tablet and phone apps along with Apple TV and Amazon Fire stick while I'm at home. My ISP is Frontier / Verizon FiOs with great speeds of 120 up and 100 down. While I'm on the road (LTE)4G. I will que up a song, it'll play for 1- 2 minutes and buffer, 30 seconds later pick up where it left off and buffer all over again. I've Relocated entire mac mini - 6 TB Lacie external hard drive to my friends home "a different ISP" and works great! I have contacted Frontier and they are unable to find anything on their side, I will say they changed the port forwarding so the router has a direct port to PLEX. Hoping to get some positive input..If not, My next move would be to relocate server to another friend that has the same provider i do. A little peculiar how things have been working flawlessly since 2013 up until now ?!

Answers

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 2,271Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

just to get this right... your home internet connection is 120 Mbit/s upstream and 100 Mbit/s downstream?

• sumstersumster Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Using Ookla **Global Broadband Speed Test ** PING 16ms / DOWNLOAD 101.92Mbps / UPLOAD 121.31Mbps. Crazy I agree normally just the opposite. Not a bad thing since a higher upload would better my streaming to my LTE or a brother thats on his Wifi at his home streaming my library - anyway answering your question, yes. Just performed a test and actually a bit higher. My speeds are not to question and maybe they are, dunno ? My only issue is PLEX works incredibly well at home But, falls on it's face buffering (works poorly) street side with 1 or 2 users on at the time of buffering. Thx Tom80 for taking the time, just seeking a solution to an extensive 3 week process of elimination. Very possible I should have come here first but felt I should gather some info for discussion.

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 2,271Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

impressive...
    Well... it works from your friend‘s place. That makes the blaming game quite one-sided (2-sided, actually) as it basically leaves only 2 key bottlenecks:
    1. the ISP - despite their statement
    2. Your own modem/router

Do you have a chance to test this with a different router?

edited March 16

I do... Testing it by weeks end. Not having much faith in my provider - gut feeling somethings happening before the modem/router. Moving everything to another friend's place with same ISP and hoping to get a different result. If I do get a different result - same provider - different location yes, a new router "no doubt" is in order. I'll hit cha back later with the out come. Thanks again !

edited March 16

=Still Under Review=

=Still Under Review=