Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Specific Library won't scan

vulcanatfvulcanatf Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

I have a bit of a strange problem. I have one specific library that I update on a daily basis and today it stopped scanning files. The files are webminars that are downloaded and arranged in a TV Show library.

The errors in the plex log indicate that Plex marked the media as unavailable.

Since discovering this issue I have tried the following
1. Changing permissions so it would be owned by the plex user
2. repairing the database (had issues with this where it complained about needed a unique key so I restored the old database)
3. Playing the file to see what issues plex had. It wouldn't play.

Finally I created a new library referencing the same media directories
This library has no issue scanning the directories or playing back the files. However, as these are all downloaded files where I updated the meta data manually the meta data is missing.

Is there a way to either
1. get the original library to scan again or
2. transfer the meta data from the broken library to the one that is scanning?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 22,850 Plex Team Member

May I see the logs please?

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• vulcanatfvulcanatf Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

Thanks for responding. Attached is a Media scanner log from yesterday showing the errors from before I added the new library (Plex Media Scanner_20180312_1656.log)

Also attached is the most recent scanner log from this morning.

Please let me know if you would like the entire zip file or if the attached is sufficient.

I forgot to mention as part of my original post that one of my troubleshooting steps was to upgrade Plex to the latest version.

Library having issues is called Downloaded in the original logs
    Renamed as Broken Downloaded in the new logs.
    Working library is DL Summits and DL Websites

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 22,850 Plex Team Member

These scanner logs won't contain the errors I need to see.

Please tell PMS to rescan the files then go to Settings - Server - Help - Download Logs and attach the full ZIP file.

I coordinate the PMS log with the scanner log. Errors (file permissions, etc) are reported in PMS, not scanner, because PMS is what makes the resultant database entries.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

scanned just the Broken Downloads library.
    Full logs attached

Thanks.

First, I want to let you know I'm seeing play requests for files not present. Are these stored on a NAS and, although visible in a directory listing, otherwise inaccessible ?

Mar 13, 2018 09:45:58.508 [0x7f6c0dbf3700] ERROR - Error opening file '/export/public/Video/Webminars/Summits/arthritis_summit/2017/01 Rheumatoid Arthritis - Amy Myers.mp4' - No such file or directory (2)

If any part of that chain is missing, PMS will mark as "Unavailable" and it won't be properly removed or updated because it tries to overcome those cases when a NAS or USB is disconnected (not polite to erase the entire library due to a simple disconnect).

Am I correct you have webinars in a TV type library or do you have them in an Other Videos type library?

If in TV type, where TVDB won't have them, but where you have manually added it, your only recourse is to open two browser windows and start the copy/paste task. It's a PITA but unless you know SQL and care to make those edits manually, this is the only way because each library type and section ID is distinct within the media tree. We can't just 'push' media from one to another. It must be created & modified again as new. PMS doesn't let us change the type of an existing library section either. This would solve your issue but, again, isn't allowed.

Lastly, you have some SLOW QUERY errors in your DB.

That AMD should not be experiencing them unless your Database is in severe need of compacting / optimization. This happens a lot when moving media around (new pointers, etc).

Mar 13, 2018 09:46:03.763 [0x7f6c133fe700] WARN - SLOW QUERY: It took 240.000000 ms to retrieve 39 items.

Useful links

The files are on an internal raid array physically attached so not going over something slow like a network or USB device. It is not removable. They should always be accessible.

Both sets of webminars are in a TV type library.

When I first started I had added a different library then removed it. That may have caused the slow database. I will see if I can optimize it.

I am ok with some SQL (familiar with MYSQL and PostgresSQL). So long as the system follows basic SQL I should be ok. Is the database schema available in an article somewhere I can review?

I am concerned that it can't reach the media when the media is part of the Downloads library but can when it is part of the DL Summits library. The system was rebooted as part of troubleshooting and the array status is showing ok. I figure either both libraries would't work or both would work. This one working one not is a little strange.

edited March 13 Accepted Answer

The SQL is SQLite3 so no difficulty there.

The schema of the database is intrinsic to the DB itself (it will tell you). How it's actually used is not documented publicly.

Media in a 'downloads' directory is, please forgive as i'm not trying to be harsh, not Plex's issue because at that point, you're dealing with a file which is, by definition, incoming and incomplete.

The best way to deal with downloading is to take completed downloads and move them to a stable, more static, directory area

Useful links