If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Server Plex offline or unavaible via internet

KaputZelotaKaputZelota Posts: 14Members ✭✭

Good morning, my plex server for some time began to have big issues. Initially it began to stop and every time I had to launch it manually. Sometimes even starting the server manually, it remained offline.
I reset the shiled to factory settings and reconfigured the server. The media are stored on a nas sinology. Now another problem has been added, the server is no longer visible from the outside of the LAN. During the configuration everything is ok, for 1 day I can connect the server from the internet but then the server becomes unavailable. I tried to reset the shield to factory again, but after a few days the problems returned. I'm in trouble what could have happened? before this the server worked great for months. Could it be because of the last update?

Comments

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,419Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Does your Shield have a reserved IP in your router? Are you also using a manual port forward?

If your answer is no to either of those, change it.

• KaputZelotaKaputZelota Posts: 14Members ✭✭

The shield have a reserved ip and the port forward works fine.
    The server crashes continuously, sometimes I can not start it manually then I have to restart the shield. When it starts to freeze from the shield client plex I no longer see the libraries, while on other devices I see everything.
    I tried to clear cache data form settings=>apps, both plex client and plex server but this does not help to solve.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,419Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@KaputZelota said:
    When it starts to freeze from the shield client plex I no longer see the libraries, while on other devices I see everything.

This sentence makes it sound like it's not an issue with your server, but with the client.

Can you verify what versions of PMS and the Plex client you are running?

Before the last factory reset, i ran the last version of both, client and server.
    Honestly do not know if it's a client or server problem. I reset again the shiled to factory and I have not updated the apps and for 2 days it has been works fine; now it has started to stop. I do not know what to do anymore.

@KaputZelota said:
    I reset again the shiled to factory and I have not updated the apps and for 2 days it has been works fine; now it has started to stop. I do not know what to do anymore.

The version of the apps that come included on the Shield are older versions and do nor work properly. Please update to the latest version of both the server and the client.

Then try playing back a file. If it fails, stop and get me the logs from both the client and server. Link to instructions on how to get logs are in my signature.

Thank you for your support, i was trying with older version to esclude that issues depending by app versions.
    I verifyed that the crashes appen with any version of them.
    During playback of media it works fine, it fails usualy when i do not manage server, for example when i'm out of home and i'm trying to connect to server for updating libraries. In that case i find the server ever offline/stopped
    I restarted plex server 1 hours ago and i download logs, then after 5 minutes server crashed again.
    Can i upload this logs or do you need logs generated after the newest version of apps installed?

@KaputZelota said:
    During playback of media it works fine, it fails usualy when i do not manage server, for example when i'm out of home and i'm trying to connect to server for updating libraries. In that case i find the server ever offline/stopped

This could be due to the Shield going to sleep. It's possible your router does not support waking up the Shield when it gets a request across the internet. Look in the main Shield settings and turn off this sleep feature. See if that helps.

i've tried this, but it was not solved. Even when the shield is awake I have to launch the server's service manually because it is stopped.
    Anyway I used the shield for 1 year without problems with the current configuration.

The next time you have to manually start PMS, grab the logs files using Plex Web and send me the entire zip file.

Hello,
    Maybe i found the reason for crashes ... i have a xiaomi mi box 3 in the bedroom, with plex client installed. I turned off the device and plex server no longer crash. I turned on the mi box and after 5 minutes the server crashed. Now the box is off for almost 24 hours and the server is up without problems.
    Is it possible that this is the reason?

• trent.curtistrent.curtis Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What's the local IP of your plex server and what is the ip of your mibox? They could be duplicate and causing your server to crash.

Plex Media Server - Nvidia Shield Pro 500GB
    Storage/NAS - WD MyCloud EX2 - Dual 8TB WD RED Drives in Raid 1
    LiveTV DVR / Captures - HDHomeRun Prime with Charter Spectrum Service / PlayOn for Netfix/Hulu/OnDemand Content Capturing
    Clients - Nvidia Shield 16GB / Amazon FireTV 4K / Samsung 2017 TV Plex Client

@trent.curtis said:
    What's the local IP of your plex server and what is the ip of your mibox? They could be duplicate and causing your server to crash.

Hello, the ip of plex server is reserved by dhcp. I'll checjk th e ip of mybox. Anyway, for a few days the server has started to stop again, even with the mibox turned off.

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    The next time you have to manually start PMS, grab the logs files using Plex Web and send me the entire zip file.

Hello MovieFan, i'll sent you the logs...I hope we can understand the reason for the crashes

Got the log. Something is telling PMS to shut down. I'm checking with the devs to see what might be causing this. To be clear, there some sort of problem detected and PMS is being told to shut down, it is not crashing.

Great!!!
    Thank you!! waiting for good news